[3830] SS SSB W5GAD Multi-Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB W5GAD Multi-Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2016 22:20:36 +0000
ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: W5GAD
Operator(s): N5HZ K5YNN W3WGG W5PYJ N5GKJ KG5HVO WA5W KA5CSI KE5VRT K2DIW
KC5KWZ W4NDF NO5W
Station: W5GAD

Class: Multi-Op LP
QTH: LA
Operating Time (hrs): 15

------------
  160:
   80:   65
   40:   42
   20:  115
   15:   53
   10:
------------

Club: Jefferson ARC

Comments:

2xIC-756 Pro III, Steppir 3el @55ft, CL-33 @40ft, Windom @55ft, N1MM+

Each year one of the goals of the Jefferson ARC is to get more members involved
in HF operations including contesting. So this year we solicited members to
operate from the club station (http://www.w5gad.org) as a multi-op in
Sweepstakes Phone and got about a dozen volunteers, most of them new to N1MM,
Sweepstakes, and contesting in general. But after being blown away by the
lengthy exchange and intensity on the first dozen or so QSOs all ops settled
down and got their ears tuned to the QRM, the long exchange, and became
comfortable with logging in N1MM.

Most of the operation was S&P but around 0100Z our youngest member, 12 yr
old  KG5HVO, dropped by with a friend and baseball teammate, both still in
uniform from a tournament they had just finished, and gave us a two-hour demo
on how to run a pileup. About 30 minutes into the demo they were spotted on 80m
and the demo became intense but continued to be well-managed. That was a
highlight of our operation and for many of the operators it was an eye-opener
and gave them something to emulate on our next multi-op which hopefully will be
in the January NAQP Phone.

73 and thanks for the Qs,

Chuck/NO5W
JARC Contest Instigator