[3830] SS CW W6YX(N7MH) Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW W6YX(N7MH) Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2016 01:31:22 +0000
ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: W6YX
Operator(s): N7MH
Station: W6YX

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Stanford
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:  111
   40:  262
   20:  578
   15:   75
   10:
------------

Club: Pizza Lovers 259

Comments:

I shared the W6YX station with John/K2YY who was running high power signing as
K6SU.

I had planned to start on 20 and 15 but found that there was too much QRM from
John running HP on 15 so I had both radios on 20, running with one and S&P
with the other. My first 3 hours were 101, 86 and 92 which seemed good for low
power unassisted.

Around 2330 John mentioned 15 was dying and he wanted to go to 40. I thought
about putting John on 20 and moving one of my radios to 40 but my rate with
both radios on 20 was still over 90 so I stayed there and John went to 40.

John had a great rate on 40 with the Yagi so I stuck it out on 20 until 0040,
which in retrospect was way too late. Denis/K7GK was almost 30 Qs behind me,
running LP from the East Bay, when I worked him. He made up much of that gap by
moving to 40 earlier.

By the time I was on 40 it had gone long for those in the east so many had
already gone down to 80. Rates plummeted and were in the 30s by the 0300 hour.
With low power I had trouble being heard on 80 by easterners who were also
being called by others to the east of me. I got discouraged and decided to take
my long break early, just after 0400, and return 5 hours later when I was
competing against fewer stations on 40 and 80.

Rates at 0900 were still in the low 20s and didn't pick up into the 40s until
the 1200 hour. 20 opened well in the 1400 hour and the rate picked up then. I
didn't work as much on 15 as I expected. Maybe I just didn't stay there long
enough before giving up and going back to 20.

Congratulations to Denis/K7GK on his high claimed score in the LP category.
Perhaps if I'd persevered and stayed later into the evening plus going to 40
earlier my total would have been closer. Congrats to the others in the category
who made over 1000 Qs.

73,
-Mike, N7MH