[3830] SS SSB K6NA(N6ED) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n6ed@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB K6NA(N6ED) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2016 20:24:30 +0000
ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K6NA
Operator(s): N6ED
Station: K6NA

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: SDG
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:  215
   40:  715
   20:  757
   15:  169
   10:    0
------------

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

After a medical related absence from last year's event, I was happy to return
the the playing field this year for SS.

Leading up to the contest we had a 2-week heatwave with temperatures in the 80s
to mid 90's in Southern California with extremely dry air < 10% humidity
which caused tremendous allergy conditions that severely affected me.  I
completely lost my voice in the 2nd hour of the contest and from there on it
was sheer misery for an additional 1500+ QSO's and 22 remaining hours.

In the first hour, I was affected by the "pristine frequency
syndrome" where a super nice frequency before the start turned to trash at
exactly 0000z, I wish guys would plan ahead and pick a frequency before the
contest and stick with it rather than dropping a big brown stinky torpedo turd
on the band when the contest starts.  I struggled for a bit and finally decided
to vacate 20m and go to 15 to try and salvage the first hour, but as most of the
big guns in this contest know, you win or lose it in the first hour, and I knew
I was now at a big disadvantage due to a lackluster start.  The damage had
already been done.  The second hour was better, split between 15 and 20m and I
settled in until I started to feel a wavering in my throat.  My fears became
reality when my words started to crack and I was losing my voice.  It
completely went away in that 2nd hour and I began to rely heavily on the DVK
which slowed me down and at times caused repeats.  Competitive DNA was the only
reason I kept with it.  It would have been easy to throw in the towel and start
thinking about next year.
I kept pushing through the evening, with 20m closing early and an extended stay
on 40m lead to a very slow close to the night on 80m.  I was about 180 Q's
behind my goal which considering my voice was a victory.

Sunday was the typical slow crawl.  I didn't really get the pre-football game
burst that is relatively normal in past years, not sure if the population was
spread too thin or I was just in the wrong place.  The result was a slightly
slower Sunday than in the past.  I was just happy when it all ended to begin
the healing of my voice, it has taken almost a week and still a couple days to
go hopefully to recover from this year's SS.  Onto next year!

I want to first of all thank Glenn and his wife for again hosting me in great
fashion.  Glenn spent 18 hours in the 3 days leading up to the contest up on
the tower working on antennas preparing to give me a shot to be competitive,
not counting the many more hours he spent in the garage and out in the field
working on antennas and feedlines etc.  Also to WN6K who assisted on antenna
installation prior to my arrival.
Also, an honorable mention to VE8GER and the guys behind VY1AAA (and VY1JA) for
getting the NT mult on the air.  VO1MP for calling me in the first hour through
the #20M-TURD-HASH to give me the only NL QSO of the contest, good show!!   I'm
very happy to have gotten the sweep, it seems to be a real tightrope dance each
year and not at all a guarantee.
Overall, given the circumstances, I'm happy with the result.  Looking forward
to next year with the hopes to give the guys above me a better run for their
money if I can pull it all together and keep myself healthy :)

73 and season's greetings
Craig N6ED