[3830] CQWW CW VY1AAA(@VY1JA) M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k1ep@yccc.org
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VY1AAA(@VY1JA) M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2016 13:39:10 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VY1AAA
Operator(s): K1EP VE4EA VY1JA
Station: VY1JA

Class: M/S HP
QTH: YT
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Remote Operation

  160:   18     4        4
   80:  297    16       17
   40:  259    17       23
   20:  790    19       39
   15:   30     7        7
   10:    0     0        0
------------------------------
Total: 1394    63       90  Total Score = 478,431

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

First, I would like to thank VY1JA for the use of his great station and to W1VE
for configuring the station for remote operation.  This was my first
"serious" effort at contesting remotely.  We did a Multi Single
operation with VE4EA and myself.  Conditions were not the best, but this was my
first time operating north of 60deg!  Friday night there was aurora and the
bands were almost dead, it was a struggle to make Qs. And those Qs were usually
either 2 point US or 0 point VEs!  After the first 12 hours of the contest, we
had only about 250 Qs, with half of them coming between 05Z and 07Z.  Finally
conditions, improved a bit and we had some encouraging small runs Saturday
afternoon, with a nice JA run on 20M.  There were plenty of stations, but given
the northern latitude and the localization of all the JA stations, they all came
in about the same level, which made the pileup tough.  It was difficult to
quickly manipulate the RF gain on the radio given the latency of the connection
given all the QSB.  Sunday was better with some sustained JA and US runs. Hardly
any Eu or SA.   Operating remotely in a fast CW contest such as CQWW is
challenging.  Timing is everything in maintaining a good run. At times, the
connection seemed to hang up or freeze, causing loss of control in N1MM+ for a
couple of seconds.  This frustrated me as well as the stations on the other
end.  I started sending QRX with the paddle when I was waiting for N1MM+ to
respond. I apologize for all the fill requests, many times it was the internet
and not RF!  A similar strange anomaly started to occur late in the contest in
that N1MM+/Winkey would stop sending the call or exchange in the middle.  This
would cause the other station to repeat their call a couple of times and slow
things down.  I apologize to all those stations who thought I went away or
busted their calls!  Also, there were audio pops, glitches and dropouts due to
the internet connectivity.  Many times I heard a call just fine, but the audio
clicked or dropped out and I missed a dit or a letter or two.  Again, sorry
about that!  Overall, it was a great experience and certainly we gave out a lot
of Zone 1 Qs that would not have been made because of the remote operation.
Best hour run for me was 1750 - 1851Z,   14029 kHz, 130 Qs, 128.8/hr.  20M was
our go to band.  Never heard much on 10M and didn't work anyone.  Heard several
stations on 15M, but had trouble making Qs until Sunday evening.  I was hoping
for more activity on 160M, but we did make a few Qs and mults.