[3830] CQWW CW OP7EH(ON7EH) SOSB/80 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW OP7EH(ON7EH) SOSB/80 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2016 23:02:56 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: OP7EH
Operator(s): ON7EH
Station: ON7EH

Class: SOSB/80 LP
QTH: Machelen
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------
Total: 1400    20       91  Total Score = 190,000

Club: NBT Grimbergen

Comments:

A very big thanks to all callers and replies from EU and around the globe!
I was amazed by working so many of you with this modest setup!
For sure, the special WW1 remembrance prefix did contribute! (valid in November
only)
It allowed for longer periods of RUNs (with returns), however periodic S&P
up and down the band remains vital for a balanced, final score. (#points vs
#multipliers)

The contest preparation started 3 weeks ago with the deployment of both
Beverages (short to NE-SW and longer one to NW/SE)on farmers field.
The days before the contest (after QRL) the extensive ground radials were laid
out in the garden. (still leaving the important NW-quadrant rather uncovered)
The spiralled quarterwave vertical on the 18m fiberglass Spiderpole was
installed, guyed and aligned just minutes, before friday evenings, early
darkness. The kids commented the pole to be far from vertical. ;-(
A 'challenging but feasible' -one man's and its radio- job...

As we entered the shack to start the contest, a .ini problem with N1MM's Beta
version took much time to solve, as was the K3-CAT connection (starting from
scratch): vital 45 minutes were lost in the first contest hour!

Unfortunately, the USA/VE-Beverage developed a problem, being just ~6dB quieter
on Rx than the vertical. It could only be looked at (but solved) on Sunday
afternoon. We didn't work very deep into North America.
Just 11% 3-pointers were found in the log, several from Asia as well. Thanks!!

IMO conditions to the Caribbean were far better than to US mainland.
This area produced the highest amount of multipliers.

With just a moderate amount of callers in the pile-up and a decent DX signal,
OP7EH was often heard.

As already commented 2 years ago, several repeats were needed to get the call
through correctly, especially with the weaker signals being called.

We were regularly embarrassed by SSB QRM and some strange hallow sounds
spanning several kHz!
Not sure where it was coming from and what the originator was...
Here, an extra bandpass filter is in the K3/100 Rx-line and the QRM was audible
on both the Tx-ant and the Beverages. (strongest on the NW/SE one)
The suburban QTH lies close to the military and national airport of Brussels.
Did you also here this?

Again thanks to all and the CQ organisation!

73,

Michel, OP7EH (ON7EH)