[3830] CQWW CW N5NU(@N5YA) SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW N5NU(@N5YA) SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2016 03:45:48 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N5NU
Operator(s): N5NU
Station: N5YA

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: STX
Operating Time (hrs): 39

  160:   64    16       32
   80:  125    25       70
   40:  270    36      110
   20:  280    35      113
   15:  280    29       94
   10:   43    13       27
------------------------------

Club: DFW Contest Group

Comments:

I wasn't sure if I was going to even be able to operate more than a couple of
hours as I had no idea what to expect in the first major holiday after getting
married in July.  I also had an aunt pass away unexpectedly earlier in the
week, so we had a lot of family commitments leading up to the contest.  I put
in way more time than I expected to.

Here's a few highlights:

-  Worked 17 JA's on 160m Friday night.  NEARLY completed with RT0C, but he
never got the N5 part of the call.

-  Worked China on 80m, finally.  The window to China is very short from here.
I had all but given up as BY5HB was deaf as a post on 80m.  He was working
NOBODY during our sunrise.  Up the band was BG2AUE, who was half the strength
but got him in one call.

-  At 0110z Saturday evening, worked JT on 40m.  I was sitting on 7007 CQing
with the beam to Europe and hear a warbling CQ of someone trying to take my
frequency.  I  zero-in to find out who the heck is trying to take my frequency,
and switch the antenna and hear him.  I knew I had to work him before the
packet-pile got there, because I only had 2-ele on 40m and it was fixed on JA
which is about 30 deg off.

Due to my aunt's funeral, I got a late start.  Had a good time just DX'ing
filling in band-country slots., taking breaks to eat, hanging with my wife, and
not looking at the rate meter.  I sent the whole contest by hand with paddles.
As a result, I only ran 25% of the time or so.  I wasn't really out to get a
big score, but ended up with a little over 1000 Q's.

Thanks to Bill N5YA for letting me use his station, and letting us relax for
the weekend out at the llama farm.

73, Jason N5NU