[3830] CQWW CW P40W(W2GDP) SOAB(A) LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w2gd@hotmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW P40W(W2GDP) SOAB(A) LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 17:07:19 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: P40W
Operator(s): W2GDP
Station: P40W

Class: SOAB(A) LP
QTH: Aruba
Operating Time (hrs): 42

  160:  147    12       42
   80:  416    21       87
   40:  973    30      112
   20: 1309    35      113
   15: 1250    28      105
   10:  435    18       37
------------------------------

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Rig:  K3/P3 100W + Win-Test Logging Software
Antennas: 160M vert dipole, 3el 80m wire beam EU
4 el 40m wire beam EU, F12 C3, F12 C31XR, F12 Delta 240
Bevs NE, NW, E/W, N/S

A direct lightning hit a week before the contest wiped out two rotator
controllers,  melted a 200' run of RG8X, and blew apart a coil cover on the F12
Delta 240.  During that same storm Aruba suffered some of the worst flooding in
30 years.  Thanks to DL6RAI for the loan of a spare control box from his P49V
spares.

Station set up was already in place from CQWW PH so the physical work load was
limited to making phone to code adjustments on wire antennas and some brush
clearing to access the path of beverages.  Assisted KU1CW/P40C with some
antenna work on Wednesday.  Thursday enjoyed a wonderful American Thanksgiving
celebration at the Hyatt Hotel with AE6Y/P49Y, P43A + XYL, P43L + XYL and
KU1CW/P40C + XYL.

Operating wise, conditions were really lousy the first 12 hours but gradually
improved.  High absorption the first night made 160 and 80 a realy challenge at
LP (well, probably at HP too). The second night was much better, I even enjoyed
nice EU sunrise runs on 160 and 80.

Congrats to Bud AA3B/V26K for breaking the 7K QSO mark running LP unassisted
... it's a completely different ballgame with two radios.

Enjoyed a very pleasant post contest dinner with P49Y and P40C (after two days
of frozen dinners the change in menu was welcomed).  Monday was spent doing
station tear down despite a wasp sting that caused a severe allergic reaction.

As I type this report I'm awaiting word from my NJ computer wizard regarding
the recovery of my log.  On Monday morning after the contest the laptop used
for logging would not boot up - it appears the hard drive is going bad.
Efforts on Aruba to recover the log were unsuccessful.  Fingers crossed.

As always thanks go to my Aruban host family who have been enabling my
contesting addiction for the past twenty years.

73, John W2GD