[3830] CQWW CW K0DQ(@K8PO) SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k0dq@analog.org
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K0DQ(@K8PO) SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2016 23:40:52 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K0DQ
Operator(s): K0DQ
Station: K8PO

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: ME
Operating Time (hrs): 35
Radios: SO2R

  160:   73    14       48
   80:  470    22       91
   40:  760    28      101
   20: 1428    34      120
   15:  512    26      105
   10:   28    10       20
------------------------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

This was a bitter sweet weekend, but not because of conditions.

Paul, K8PO, became an SK in September.  I had operated from his station in
various contests over the past three years and we had become good friends.
Several weeks before the contest Paul’s widow graciously offered my wife and
me the use of the house and station while she was out of town visiting family.
We spent Thanksgiving in Maine and I planned a casual assisted operation over
the weekend.  I ended up with about 35 hours on the air, even waking up late
well after the high bands were well open to Europe.

As all participants know conditions were terrible.   At the time, based on past
experience I assumed we in the northern latitudes were especially affected.  In
the event, propagation was an equal opportunity Grinch.  As it turned out a few
more hours could have resulted in a long-sought US win.  Nonetheless, a fun
weekend with the thrills of rate bursts and double mults.

Paul would have understood.  RIP, shipmate.