[3830] ARRL 160 N3HEE SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, galicic@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 N3HEE SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2016 17:07:43 +0000
ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: N3HEE
Operator(s): N3HEE
Station: N3HEE

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 25

Total:  QSOs = 1016  Sections = 79  Countries = 30  Total Score = 221,000

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

This contest was the first real test of a years worth of station and antenna
improvements for 160 meters. I added a legal limit amplifier and a K9AY
receiving loop as well as restrung the inverted L getting the horizontal leg up
higher.  The amplifier replaced my 500 watt amplifier and the K9AY loop replaced
my Hi-Z vertical array. As a result I was able to hear better than ever before.
I am also a little stronger on transmit.

My goal for this year was to beat last years score of 845/76/19. I was shooting
for 1000 Q's and 100 multipliers.  I was hoping to break 200K points in a
contest for the first time ever.  For me that requires putting in the time !

I started the contest with a couple of 100 Q hours which was very encouraging
and set the pace for the rest of the contest. I worked some DX early in the
evening and again later in the evening.  I could pretty much work anything I
could hear.  At 03Z Friday evening the flood gates opened and I went on a 129 Q
run at high rates.  That was very fun !   I took a 2.5 hour break at 3AM local
time to get some sleep. I ended Saturday morning with 660 Q in the log. This
was better than last year by 40 Q's but I knew I had my work cut out for me to
get to 1000 Q's.  I was pleased with the activity early Saturday evening.  I
was able to keep a pretty good rate until late in the evening.  I was treated
to DX stations calling me on some of my runs.  I chased California mults all
Saturday night.  I stayed on the air all night and was rewarded with some DX
and enough activity to push me over 1000 Q's.  I worked both Hawaiian stations
and heard WL7E but could not get him in my log.  That was the first time I
could hear AK on 160 meters.  Thrilling !  At 6AM local time Sunday I had
enough and called it quits.

K3,TenTec Titan, Inverted L with K2AV folded counterpoise and K9AY four
direction loop.

Also note that all of my antennas live in a 50 X 90 foot space in my backyard.

I really love the challenge of working 160 on a small lot !!

Joe
N3HEE