[3830] ARRL 160 N4RV SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jnreichert@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 N4RV SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2016 17:22:19 +0000
ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: N4RV
Operator(s): N4RV
Station: N4RV

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 21

Total:  QSOs = 1004  Sections = 78  Countries = 37  Total Score = 254,035

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

This contest was a tale of two cities..

An S9+ powerline QRN started about a month ago. Lots of work with the Dominion
Power EMI investigator identified two possible sources. A work order was placed
and then it was simply wait to see if there was any improvement. About a day
before the contest the noise level seemed to lessen, but I was not sure if the
problems had been resolved, or might return anytime.
I operated the contest in S&P mode for the entire 1st day, not wanting to
end up as an alligator and not be able to hear callers if the QRN returned.
After the 1st day the powerline noise did not reappear ! On the 2nd day I began
in earnest to run stations, and finished the contest with ZERO powerline QRN !
Results were about 380 Q's the first day S&P'ing, and 625 Q's the 2nd day
mostly running.
Impressed with the quality of ops in this contest !!