[3830] ARRL 160 K2AV SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k2av.guy@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 K2AV SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2016 21:00:05 +0000
ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: K2AV
Operator(s): K2AV
Station: K2AV

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 21.5

Total:  QSOs = 1267  Sections = 81  Countries = 40  Total Score = 333,113

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Managed to keep from doing a 4 hour run in the DX window this time. So the
"First, do no dumb sh*t" note to self must have worked.

Necessary family time killed most of 3 hours of prime time Friday night, so
maybe might have worked another 100+ contacts that weren't going to be on
later. But this is best butt in chair time I've been able to put in on this
contest yet.

Was the first full effort test after moving the inverted L/FCP up by the house
to get away from the 13 kV primary line they are building out at the service
road. The new spot is gonna do just fine.

My problem isn't not being heard, it's clearly hearing the other guy. This was
also the first time I had worked enough that having a separate rig & PC to
go after spots would have helped a lot. Working the VFO's separately on the
single K3 when I'm listening diversity is too much motion when I've gotten
stupid in the wee hours. My old MP will work fine for that, including doing the
run when the K3 is listening to a really weak one.

Last two multipliers were SB and EB, to my CQ in a little barely noticeable
sunrise enhancement to the west Sunday morning.

Conditions to west coast were awful, entire contest. Most signals never better
than an accurate, clean 559. Second night, most west coast had to be copied
well down in the noise. Lot of disappearances into QSB.

Missed AK and NT. Had many opportunities for those, good spots and plenty of
time to try and get the sweep, but heard zippo. Just once MIGHT have been a KL7
signal down there, but also might have been the old thing of hearing CW in the
shower after the contest. Have worked KL7 on 160 from here before. Heard N4AF
work the VY1, but didn't hear him then either. If it was going to happen,
should have been then.

Need serious work on RX antennas here. It's in the list, but down a ways.

Overall, this was my best effort yet in ARRL 160. 81 sections, 77 DX QSO's in
40 countries. Longest and best run 3:21 395 Q's 118/hr. Think that is a
personal best at my own station. 75 3 QSO minutes, 23 4 QSO minutes and a 5 QSO
minute.

Station: K3, Alpha 8410, L over FCP.