[3830] ARRL 160 KT8K Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kt8k@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 KT8K Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2016 21:23:08 +0000
ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: KT8K
Operator(s): KT8K
Station: KT8K

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: EN82ce SE Michigan
Operating Time (hrs): 1:29

Total:  QSOs = 50  Sections = 24  Countries = 2  Total Score = 2,400

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

With little time to devote to this one, I got in and tried running with my 5
Watts on Saturday, but it was fruitless - I didn't seem to be above anyone's
noise level.  5 Watts just wasn't enough.

So ... I did the rare thing for me, I cranked the old Orion up to 55 Watts (so
it wouldn't hurt my Z-11 60 Watt QRP autotuner) and .. the fun began.  I kept
singin' "If You Ain't Runnin, You Ain't Winnin" and my 50 Q's
includes 2 good (for me) runs: one on Saturday of 14 Q's at 71.4/hour, and one
Sunday around 1300Z of 16 Q's at 45.7/hour.  Big fun!  I only wish I'd had more
time to be on the air.

I hope to be on for the 10m contest next weekend - which should be especially
interesting given the propagation and sunspot count.

Thanks for the Q's, everyone, and best reception to you! -- Tim, KT8K

equipment:
- Tentec Orion w. MFJ Grandmaster memory keyer and Bencher BY-1 paddle set
- WGA TR-2000 headset
- Ancient XP laptop with a home brew RS-232 CW keying interface
- N1MM+

antennas:
- 40/80 wire vertical with elevated radials, one per band plus 2 43 foot
radials, fed with TV twin lead direct from the autotuner, feed point up about
12 feet
- 20/40/80m 3 wire dipole - didn't use it much, mostly for listening