[3830] ARRL 160 W2GD M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w2gd@hotmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 W2GD M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2016 19:20:11 +0000
ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: W2GD
Operator(s): K2TW K2SG KU2C KI4KWR N2HM N2OO W2GD W2NO W2OB W2RQ WW2Y
Station: W2GD

Class: M/S HP
QTH: SNJ
Operating Time (hrs): 33

Total:  QSOs = 1625  Sections = 83  Countries = 55  Total Score = 525,366

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Elecraft K3 x 3
OM2000HF  1400 watts
Top Ten Devices 'Switcher'
Win-Test Logging Software
2 element vertical Yagi @ 240' with NE, SW and Omni direction options
Beverage antennas NE, E, S, SW, W, NW, plus HI-Z Four

It has been our tradition to use the ARRL 160 and TBDC to iron out the problems
that inevitably occur for this station located at the end of "Murphy
Drive".  We had two work parties before CQWW CW during which the TX array
was installed on the 300 foot tower, and cabling was run to the seven RX
antennas.

This is essentially a semi-permanent station, since we remove the TX antennas
during hurricane season from spring till fall.  Due to wind/ice damage last
year a new delta loop reflector had to be built and new feedlines installed on
the TX array's two driven elements.  We experienced serious problems attempting
to tune the antenna ... it seemed no matter what we did a satisfactory match
could not be achieved around 1830.  After more than ten hours of 'marsh time'
trying to improve the matching we went to Plan B and used an antenna tuner to
make the amplifier happy.  This seems to have worked OK for the ARRL but we
will continue to pursue the root cause of the tuning mystery.

With somewhat limited manpower completing station setup was delayed and we
missed the first 30 minutes of the contest.  But in the end this didn't seem to
have a meaningful impact on the final score.  EU stations were worked from the
start, in fact conditions across the pond seemed best between 2200 and 0000Z
both days. Only minor enhancement was observed at EU sunrise.   I've posted our
rate sheet below.

Seemed to be hoards of USA participants again this year - which supported
fantastic run rates during the first seven hours - definitely a highlight of
the weekend.  The opening to the western US was good early, we worked stations
in AZ and CA before their sunset.

At sunrise Saturday morning we were missing EB, SB, AK, NL, and NT for a sweep.
 We finished the sweep about 5 a.m. Sunday when a W8 in SB called in (we'd been
chasing a WA6 in SB for hours without success).

Despite what we considered just fair conditions, DX goodies included 3B8, 3B9,
and V73.  CW5W was "huge" the second night from down south. Heard and
missed 7Z and were unable to work  a JA (heard several), VK and ZL.

As always thanks to the owners of WYRS-FM for making this fantastic site
available to us and to members of the SJDXA for their assistance.

On to the Stew Perry TBDC in two weeks.

73,

John, W2GD for the TEAM

W2GD  ARRL 160 2016