[3830] ARRL 10 N8XX SO CW QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n8xx@arrl.org
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 N8XX SO CW QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2016 23:30:25 +0000
ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: N8XX
Operator(s): N8XX
Station: N8XX

Class: SO CW QRP
QTH: MICHIGAN
Operating Time (hrs): 0.25

   CW:   4     3
  SSB:   0     0
-------------------
Total:   4     3  Total Score = 48

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Didn't have much time this weekend with family, etc., things filling all day
Saturday and Sunday morning.  Got on, on a lark, after a local said he had
listened and found one fellow on 10 meters.  I thought there might be some
local activity, so I decided I'd go up to the shack and listen for a while.

WRONG!  I got lucky.  Here's what I sent to the QRP reflector:

No Sunspots or nothing.  But, there was SOME propagation.   I just ran across a
"freak" opening to W4 land and Cuba.   Worked N4BP, one other in
FLorida, one in GA, and CE2AWW in Cuba.  They were each very loud for a short
period of time, N4BP probably for over 5 minutes, didn't check on the others,
but ran across him while scanning the band for the others.

I called CQ a few times, during this foray, but none of the skimmers within the
RBN heard me.  A few skimmers in W8 Land heard W4BP quite loudly - over 25 dB
SNR, so that's why he could hear my pipsquoke signal. Similar for the other
fellow in Florida, but not the station from Georgia.  Didn't check the Cuban
Station, but he responded on first call, so he probably was being heard.

Tuned into the Voice band, heard nothing.

10 minutes later nothing on the CW part of the band.  Nil. NADA, Zilch.

Maybe my supplication to ISIS, the Egyption god of the sun, which I made just
prior to going up to the shack, was the reason for this freak propagation.   I
didn't even bring the computer up to the shack with me, so I had to enter all
the data by hand and adjust the times.  C'est la vie.

Serendipity rules.  And Sporadic E is fickle, but I found one "spot"
which lasted probably 10 minutes or less.  Wow!