[3830] ARRL 10 W5MX SO CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 W5MX SO CW HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2016 01:25:11 +0000
ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: W5MX
Operator(s): W5MX
Station: W5MX

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: ky
Operating Time (hrs): 12

   CW:  402    69
  SSB:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  402    69  Total Score = 110,952

Club: Kentucky Contest Group

Comments:

As others have remarked, this contest reminded me of one of my favorite aspects
of this hobby that has always fascinated me: propagation. Of course this
contest is scheduled at the same time as the Geminids meteor shower which ads
yet another twist.
The pattern was similar both days, W1/VE1 coming in first in the morning, then
shifting to W2, then W3. After that, FL and Central/S. America along with a
Westward progression from W0/W5 to W6/7. Saturday morning was surprised by a
call from V51YJ. Sunday morning was similar but the surprise was VP8NO and even
a few western EU (F and G). Sunday however did not yield the strong W0 and W7
opening that Sat did, although W6 was very strong for a while. Both days really
died out here around 14:30 or so local time until after dark. Then later both
evenings around 18:00 or so local, W1 started in again, then to W2/W3 similar
to in the morning. Sat night had a great opening to FL and then on over to TX.
Again, a very fascinating part of the hobby for me, forgive my rambling.
Sun morning, about the time of the very short EU opening, my neighbor came over
and wanted to chat. Since this is my contest location, I am not there all the
time so when I am, the neighbors stop by to catch up. Seems to always be in the
middle of some good propagation. Don't want to be rude, so QRT for 1/2 hour or
so and shoot the breeze. They know I do this "radio competition
stuff" so don't hang around extended periods of time during a test hihi.
I also spent some time this afternoon throwing a few more radials out under the
vertical for 160 in prep for the Stew Perry next weekend. Never too many
radials.
Overall, it was a good time as always, can't go wrong with any popular
contest!
73s
Bryan
W5MX