[3830] ARRL 10 K5NA SO CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, richard.k5na@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 K5NA SO CW HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2016 15:24:14 +0000
ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: K5NA
Operator(s): K5NA
Station: K5NA

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 28

   CW:  894    90
  SSB:
-------------------
Total:  894    90  Total Score = 321,840

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

This year conditions on 10 meters seemed generally poor with occasional bursts
of good. Some of the time I could only hear a few Texas stations CQing.

When the band would burst open it would be a spotlight effect because I might
work a lot of Illinois stations, then a pause, then a lot on North Carolina,
and then a lot of Maine stations. And so on. It was usually a very tight
spotlight.

I missed ND, MT, and AK and VE6, VO1, VO2, VE8, VY1, & VY0 in W/VE. The
only DX station I heard and didn't work was HP3SS, who fast faded when I found
him. All my multipliers called me except for two or three XE multipliers.

I was using N1MM in SO2V mode. It is very different from SO2R. Many times I got
confused and would send the wrong thing on the wrong VFO. It was tough for me
listening to split VFOs, one in each ear all the time. I am more used to
switching both ears to each radio when necessary. But that isn't possible for
my setup in a single-band contest.

My best run was on Saturday between 15Z until 18Z. I had over 300 QSOs (mostly
W/VE and some DX) in 3 hours. That slowly tailed off until I had a small run of
VK/ZL on Saturday afternoon around 21Z/22Z.

Then Saturday night (02Z on Sunday UTC) there was a short burst of an opening
from both coasts after having 2 boring hours of calling CQ with only 6 QSOs
total.

I worked no Europe on Saturday but on Sunday I had 3 Europeans call me.
Mid-afternoon (about 21Z) the band opened to Florida for a bunch of QSOs and
that morphed into a W6 opening to finish the contest. Those QSO rates were in
the 15 to 30 range, but it felt like big numbers after having so many slow
hours of under 15 QSOs per hour.

My DX multipliers were A3, CE, CM, CU, CX, DL, EA, EA8, FK, FY, HI, HK, J6, K,
KH6, KP2, KP4, LU, P4, PJ2, PY, TI, V5, VE, VK, VP2V, VP8, XE, YV, ZL, &
ZS.

I had fun and managed to read about 1/2 of my current book while pushing the CQ
button.

73, Richard - K5NA