[3830] TBDC KV4FZ Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC KV4FZ Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2016 13:27:38 +0000
Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: KV4FZ
Operator(s): KV4FZ
Station: KV4FZ

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: U.S. Virgin Islands
Operating Time (hrs): 13.5

Total:  QSOs = 504  Total Score = 4,995

Club:

Comments:

Made serious attempts to buy a used Elecraft K3 for the Stew and ran into at
QTH.com offer for $1100 which turned out to be to good to be true.  When the
ham who asked for a Pay Pal payment refused to give me his address and telco
number, along with the fact that his callsign did not have the same e mail
address, I regarded it as a scam. DX-Engineering came to the rescue and shipped
me a Icom IC-7300 as my second choice for what I call a "poor ham's
K3."  It has a 2KHz dynamic range specs, according to the Sherwood tests,
very close to a K3.  The 7300 has spectrum display, waterfall, and touch
screen. With these features it is really simple to operate by changing values
at the touch of a finger. I used the IC-7300 as a receiver side by side with my
IC-7410 for a serious A/B analysis especially on the incessant key clicks I
usually experience from a close by QRO station.  The chop chop chop I normal
recieve for him were totally gone with the IC-7300 plus I could see where he
was sending from the spectrum display.  I stayed on one frequency for the whole
contest as S&P was not possible with the other close by station moving all
over the place.

Several Beverages, that were checked before the contest appeared deaf so I used
a north Beverages for both NA and EU.  The west coast stations and KH6 were good
on the West Beverage but for some strange reason my NW Beverage wouldn't do
much.  This is normally my best NA antenna.  Not having it made Midwest
stations a real chore in copying well.  Also other than LU5OM the normal
complement of PY's were just not there although I was constantly switching to
the south east and south Beverage.   Nothing from VK3IO, ZL3IX, nor VK6VZ.  If
I learned anything from this Stew is that the Icom IC-7300 is a real winner and
worth every penny.  I would sure like to hear opinions from others on this
"Poor ham's K3" as I call it.