[3830] RTTY Roundup VA3DF SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, va3df66@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup VA3DF SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2017 02:40:52 +0000
ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: VA3DF
Operator(s): VA3DF
Station: VA3DF

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: ONS
Operating Time (hrs):

------------
   80:  258
   40:  229
   20:  247
   15:  125
   10:   15
------------
Total:  874  State/Prov = 57  Countries = 58  Total Score = 100,510

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Was not impressed with conditions at the start (and during) the contest. After a
couple of hours, I had resigned myself to making the best of a bad situation and
had no expectation of even getting close to last year's score.

Besides propagation issues, I had a series of minor problems related to having
recently gutted Windows 10 from my laptop and replacing it with Windows 7. No
big deal, but little things like having to change the Writelog ini file to
clear the entry  window after I tuned away from a given frequency and also
telling Writelog where to find the SCP data file... no problem doing this but
it does disrupt the "flow".

Got behind last year's benchmarks right off the bat so I decided to just chalk
this one up to experience! Come Sunday afternoon, I was behind last year on
qsos but even on mults - needing only MT, DE, ME and DC for the sweep of all
States. Gradually, and with a lot of effort, MT, DE and ME found their way into
the log - leaving only DC as the last mult. Having not heard a DC station all
weekend, I was assured that this was just another pot of gold at the end of the
rainbow.

Funny thing happened on the way to 2400Z - I ended up with a better score than
I had anticipated - but 100K was just too ridiculous to even contemplate! As
the clock passed 2345Z - I was set to come up just short of 100K and was still
missing DC - it was not going to happen.

With about 5 minutes to go, I'm working everything in sight - begging for qsos
- I work a W3 station - a very rare DC mult is now in the books! Call me Lucky.
Made a few more qsos to pad the log and pulled the switch. Basically the same
score as last year....

As usual, it's a jungle out there...

73,

Doug