[3830] RTTY Roundup NA5NN(@W5UE) M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup NA5NN(@W5UE) M/S LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2017 14:01:04 +0000
ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: NA5NN
Operator(s): K2FF W5UE
Station: W5UE

Class: M/S LP
QTH: MS
Operating Time (hrs): 12

------------
   80:  287
   40:  194
   20:    3
   15:
   10:
------------
Total:  484  State/Prov = 52  Countries = 15  Total Score = 32,428

Club: 599 DX Association

Comments:

K2FF/W5UE teamed up with a target of breaking the MSLP record for Mississippi.
We started out at 0000z on Saturday evening with the intent of operating low
bands through the night and then finishing up the last 12 hours after sunrise
in MS on the high bands... 80m in particular was GREAT with lots of good
signals. We felt pretty good as the sun was coming up and had almost 500 Qs in
the log on 80/40. Well, I went to 20M just after sunrise, switched to the T8
LPDA, found a run freq and then my heart sank as I realized we had an SWR of
> 5:1... quick checks of 15/10 were the same. We quickly eliminated
everything except the T8 or feedline from tower mounted switchbox. Did I
mention it was 19 deg in MS that morning??? I believe the combination of 7
inches of rain the days leading up to the contest, and then freezing temps
Friday and Sat somehow created an issue at one of the connection points on the
T8. We threw in the towel and scheduled a takedown/rework of T8 balun and
pigtail when it gets a little warmer... Sat night was fun tho... de W5UE