[3830] NAQP CW KG5U Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kg5u@att.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW KG5U Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2017 04:28:35 +0000
North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: KG5U
Operator(s): KG5U
Station: KG5U

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Texas
Operating Time (hrs): 9:58

  160:
   80:  262    43
   40:  295    59
   20:  213    42
   15:   11     8
   10:
-------------------
Total:  781   154  Total Score = 120,274

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Team: Deep Dixie CC - Team #3

Comments:

Wow. It's been a while since I sat so long in the chair--except 1 head call, 10
hours. Strange conditions such that I felt like I couldn't be heard by even the
loudest stations. To top it off, my brand-spanking (well, it's a month old now)
new K3S decided it wasn't having any power above 60 watts without going into a
key down condition. So, was at reduced power for the contest--of course, at the
end of the contest, I go to try to figure out what's causing the problem and it
works perfectly at 100 watts. Interesting.

The contest was great fun and the runs and the little pileups were amazing. At
one point my rate meter was at just over 300.

One thing that I think slowed me down in places was earlier this week in CWTs
on Wednesday I set the CW Autosend threshhold to 2. I felt like I was getting
used to it and it did seem to make the flow of the QSO go smoothly and maybe
faster. But, I kept running into a station calling (e.g., VE3KP and as I typed
in his call, the autosend put an earlier QSO with another VE3 in the entry
field and took off sending before I could get VE3KP's call typed in and I had
to panic abort the transmission then empty the entry field, enter the call and
hit enter to send the exchange. what a mess. So, I turned the autosend off.

Ah well. I'll figure it out one day, I'm sure.

Thanks to all for the QSO's in this great contest.

73 de Dale, KG5U

Station:
1 - quirky K3S
Ant: AV640 (10-15-20), 40m inv vee, 80m in vee
S/W: N1MM Classic (Plus is too buggy at KG5U)