[3830] ARRL Jan VHF W3IP Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF W3IP Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2017 15:43:40 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  436   114  Total Score = 69,654

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Antenna performance and propagation was reduced due to the poor weather over the
weekend, lots of rain, drizzle, and fog. Wasn't able to work some of the longer
distance contacts that I usually hear. My 432 amp tripped out a few times due
to wet weather VSWR, and had to be remotely reset.

On the bright side, 6 meter meteor scatter using MSK144 was a new experience
and was a lot of fun. MSK144 bring technical challenges of delivering accurate
time to your computer (within fractions of a second) and frequency to your
radio and transverters (overall within 20-50 Hz accuracy). It also brings
operational challenges (when to transmit, for how long,where to point your
antennas). All this fun and the software is still being improved - thanks to
K1JT and team.

Keeping up with and acting on the information on the panadapter, three chat
rooms, the telnet cluster, four equipment status windows, two realtime
propagation predictors (dxmaps, APRS/Moutainlake), multiple screens from the
logging program AND the radio was a challenge. All that information does
provide more inputs to your strategic and tactical approach - what band/mode to
I activate now, for how long, where do I go next?

Thanks to the rovers for getting out there and operating in less than ideal
weather!