[3830] ARRL Jan VHF KK6MC/R Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jamesduffey@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF KK6MC/R Rover LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2017 01:11:25 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  73     18  Total Score = 2,760

Club:

Comments:

Score includes 6 grids visited as a rover.

I could only work Sunday, but I got the most out of a half day. No extended
propagation here, but lots of NM ops on and very supportive of not only my
roving effort, but also of W7QQ/r and K5WO/r. I managed to put 6 grids in the
log on Sunday. Between W7QQ/r, K5WO/r and myself, we managed to put half of
NM's grids on the air, which is good considering many of the grids we visited
have no active weak signal VHFers.

After years of January contest roving in the southern NM and AZ deserts in, I
returned to my home territory for this contest. I immediately remembered why I
didn't do this more often; setting up the rover in 30 degree weather with rain
and snow and 35 mph winds was miserable. Sunday was only slightly better with
just the wind and cold. But some of my old route in had blizzards, so I can
take comfort in that.

There has been a relative explosion in 222 activity in NM and it was nice to
put all those two pointers in the log. It was also nice to get the 902 and 1296
QSOes with the other rovers for those high QSO point bands.

Things went relatively smoothly after I got the transverters hooked to the
correct output on the transceiver.

Many thanks to Virginia for driving, that helps a lot. We ended up Sunday night
with a nice dinner with W7QQ/r, N5SJ operator with W7QQ/r, KC7QY and penny in
DM64.

Good contest and the activity in NM has grown a lot in this contest since I
first started roving in the January contest in 2008.