[3830] ARRL Jan VHF K2DRH Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k2drh@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF K2DRH Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2017 06:25:07 +0000
ARRL January VHF Contest

Call: K2DRH
Operator(s): K2DRH
Station: K2DRH

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: EN41vr IL
Operating Time (hrs):

    6:  134    60
    2:  134    50
  222:   39    25
  432:   82    33
  903:   19    11
  1.2:   14     9
  2.3:    1     1
  3.4:    1     1
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  424   190  Total Score = 125,020

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

This has been a strange winter in the Midwest. Unseasonable below zero temps in
December and a week long January thaw with fog and some temperature inversion
tropo just before the contest.  Of course that fell apart and contest day
dawned with conditions totally depressed.  At least it wasn't noisy like it
gets when its in the single digits. I finally got the station working on the
bottom 4 bands with the new Flex 6700 and the old transverters.  Not exactly
how I want it yet since the 2, 222 and 432 transverters are still manually band
switched with my old IF interface box and all still convert to the 10M band, but
at least I can see a bandscope for 6M and 2M (or 222 or 432) at the same time
now.

Propagation was marginal all day Saturday and it was a tough slog.  Despite the
mild weather many fewer rovers went out or carried effective microwave setups.
NAQP SSB kept down the numbers of SMC locals that get on VHF casually or to
give out points.  No Es at all either day. Saturday night I turned to WSJT and
was pleasantly surprised by the number of stations trying MSK-144 and making
real time skeds on the PJ page. While I made a few pre-contest skeds with some
of my regulars, I was able to generate a lot of mults bycalling CQ on 50.280
and/or setting up skeds online.  Even had a few instances where I had a mini
pileup and was able to work two stations at the same time by manually switching
 messages half way htrough the sequences.  It was a great deal of fun and it
hope the trend continues!  I stayed up too late and got up too early but the
number of exrtra mults was worth it.

Sunday propagation was marginally better but still not really good. I made few
really long QSOs and even those were not very strong and often did not extend
to 432 or beyond. Lots of CW above 2M. I did some WSJT in the morning and could
see that folks were still trying to do it all day long but when the  ionoscatter
and the rox both start to die out around noon its basically time to hang it up.
There did seem to be a little lift along the Mississippi river in the evening
and I worked N0JK QRP/p in EM28 and a few other stations down that way, but it
wasn't as good as it has been in the past. There were some good hookups on
ON4KST 144/432 R2 with distant stations too that helped the mults and the
score. All in all not a bad January contest.

Had a lot to learn about the new SDR and apparently still do. But sometimes it
does things it shouldn't that I don't think I'm causing by inexperience.  Like
suddenly not keying the sequencer (and transverter, amp etc) when I change
slices because it randomly switched my spilt IF tranverter setup to a different
configuration for no apparent reason.  Other times things don't work the way I
set them when it suddenly “forgets” my previous cw filter setting, preamp
or TX drive settings. The Maestro buttons that are supposed to move the A and B
RX slices around the panadapters seem to do unpredictable things with
transverter setups like switch to different antenna and transverter I/O
configurations, change drive levels and even revert back to the 10M band
instead of the 2M transverter overlay.  And  often when I spin the Maestro
tuning knob fast it tunes the wrong way! I may not be doing everything right,
but as far as I can tell its not supposed to do any of those things and I've
yet to figure out why it does.

Its also not as easy as a conventional rig to switch to CW quickly when another
station can't hear my lower power.  And its multi step menu driven access to
memory channels makes them practically useless for quick QSY. On the plus side
the NB technology and adjustable AGC threshold are killer.  The selectivity and
strong adjacent signal rejection is a joy and it even handles splatter well.
Its pretty easy to set up and run WSJT-X. I'm hoping the annoying stuff I've
encountered can eventually be resolved either with my continuing education or
some software fixes.

73 de Bob K2DRH