[3830] CQ160 CW N9TF Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n9tf@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW N9TF Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2017 15:41:11 +0000
CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: N9TF
Operator(s): N9TF
Station: N9TF

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: IL
Operating Time (hrs): 9.5

Total:  QSOs = 314  State/Prov = 54  Countries = 7  Total Score = 45,445

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Wasn't sure how much time I would be able to dedicate to this contest,as we host
an annual Chinese New Years Dinner, and there is a lot of prep work involved!
Didn't start until after 9pm local Friday Night and played until 2:30am local
Saturday morning. Lots of signals on the band all the way up to about 1.885!
Lots of Caribbean heard along with a lot of west coast. West coast is always a
challenge for me due to antenna height and antenna orientation. Mostly S&P
but did muster one short 30 minute run of 31 Q's, then it dried up fast!
HK1R and ZF9CW were the strongest signals to the south. I was able to work
ZF9CW pretty easily, but HK1R became a challenge. I spent many passes of the
dial to his freq stopping to call him without response. He seemed to have a
pipeline to EU stations I could not even detect. Finally, after about the
dozenth pass at 0725UTC Saturday morning he went into my log! I hung on for
another hour in the chair before my eyes started watering and was having
troubles focusing on the computer display.
Got another late start Saturday night. Guests finally left around 10:30PM, and
I was able to settle back into the chair around 10:45PM. Seeing some of the SMC
email posts this morning after my contest end, it seems I missed the prime time
for some good EU activity earlier in the evening. The band was full again all
the way up past 1.880, and I was finding some fresh meat from the night before.
Lots of stations to my south and east working EU, which I could sometimes tell
there was a DX station there, but well in my noise floor. Only DX worked in
this night shift would be PJ2T. Lots more CA and WA stations worked again in
this shift. Wish they were worth more than 2 points though! I was not so
successful in running this shift. My best run was 18 in 30 minutes. Tried a
couple other runs and no callers, so focused on really weak signals in the
hopes of some DX. My last contact and section mult of the shift was K2RD in NV.
K2RD finished off the 7th call area for me, and I was now too pooped to
continue. Time to QRT. I did make one more Q Sunday late morning after getting
up from a decent nights sleep, to K5NA in TX at 1409UTC.
States missed for WAS were NE-ME-HI- and AK. Also missed DC. Worked lots of MD
as is usual, but no DC. I did run across KH6LC sometime after midnight Sunday
morning. He was right in my noise floor and at that time he had a very deep
pile up going, so i just waived as I passed by!
Had fun. What a difference a week makes in band conditions.

Rig: K3S/P3 100 watts. Antenna: W8AMZ 67' shortened half sloper at 35' apex
aimed about 60 degrees, sometimes used 80m dipole or D3W rotateable dipole for
RX antennas. N1MM+

73 Gene, N9TF