[3830] CQ160 CW K4XL Single Op Assisted HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, grimm@sbc.edu
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW K4XL Single Op Assisted HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 04:40:49 +0000
CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: K4XL
Operator(s): K4XL
Station: K4XL

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 702  State/Prov = 53  Countries = 44  Total Score = 221,451

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I started the contest with a goal of 600 Qs and I thought that was probably too
ambitious.  The conditions the first night convinced me that it was going to be
very difficult to achieve that goal.  Still I managed a few pretty good runs of
mainly US and Canadian stations east of the Mississippi with a few Caribbeans.
Conditions into Europe were very difficult.  Calling them, even though I was
running HP, made me feel like I was running QRP!  I could hear quite a few, but
they couldn't hear me.  Then Saturday night happened!  The band was loaded and I
got some really good runs and began having Europeans call me.  This raised my
spirits and when I passed the 600 Q mark, I was feeling like maybe this was
going to be a very good contest.  Thank goodness we were spared the QRN that
messed up the low bands for NAQP, but we seemed to have more than our share of
deep and slow QSB.

I misjudged how badly I needed sleep and slept right through the alarm and
missed all but a few locals when I staggered into the shack well after sunrise
on Sunday morning.  With fingers crossed, I managed a few more Qs just before
2200 and went over the 700 mark...by 2 Qs.  I spent most of my time running and
did a little S&P to pick up some mults.  If only I hadn't overslept...