[3830] CQ160 CW PJ2T Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jim@w8wts.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW PJ2T Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2017 20:47:27 +0000
CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: PJ2T
Operator(s): K8ND W8WTS
Station: PJ2T

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 1412  State/Prov = 58  Countries = 72  Total Score = 1,820,260

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

The 2017 CQWW 160 CW was another fast and fun contest from radio paradise, PJ2T,
operated by Jeff, K8ND/PJ2ND and Jim, W8WTS.  We had a great time and thank
everyone for their QSOs.

PJ2T was #1 Worldwide CQWW 160 CW multi-op in 2014, 2015 and 2016.  We had our
sights set on a four-peat in 2017.  With the present low solar flux and our
place in the sunspot cycle, we knew that we would have fun regardless of the
final order of finish.

K8ND arrived at PJ2T two weeks before CQWW 160 CW and started the prep work,
testing radios, amplifiers, transmit antenna and Beverage receiving antennas
and setting up and testing the three on-site CW Skimmers.  On Tuesday before
the contest, W8WTS arrived at the station with a repaired part for the DX
Engineering 4-Square RX antenna, and that antenna was deployed Field-Day style.
 Diversity receiving with the Elecraft K3 transceiver was configured and tested,
using the DXE 4-square RX antenna in combination with one of the USA/JA or
Europe Beverage.  A local noise that was troublesome during CQWW CW in November
did not reappear, so planned troubleshooting of that problem was not required.
The PJ2T station was in excellent shape and ready to rock.

CQWW 160 CW starts in full daylight at PJ2T, so the first two hours are hit or
miss USA stations with Europeans frantically feeding upon themselves. We could
hear station in Europe and the USA CQing, and the on-site CW Skimmers were
posting many spots, but few could/would hear us.  By the third hour, Topband
starts to come to life for us.  We started Friday night with very good runs of
USA.  Signals were strong and our rates were high, above the target rates for
our goal of a new South America record.  When Europe started to become
workable, we switched constantly between our USA/JA receiving antennas and our
EU receiving antennas, in pairs using diversity receiving.  While we were able
to make rate with USA, we never achieved good velocity with Europe in the 0400Z
through 0600Z period.  During EU sunrise from 0600Z through 0900Z we worked many
EU stations but never achieved significant rate.  About this time we turned our
attention to the Pacific.  We worked VK4MA and saw spots that said others in
the region were hearing us.  We listened carefully, but did not hear any other
stations in the Pacific.  We did not work any JA the first night.  We kept
CQing until 1325Z, 2.5 hours after full daylight, then got some sleep.

On Saturday afternoon, we did some antenna repairs in preparation for the
upcoming ARRL DX contests at PJ2T.  We started calling on Topband around 2200Z
Saturday.  We were still in full daylight, but one never knows who might pop up
from the Caribbean or South America.

As darkness hit around 2330Z Saturday, we found another evening of good
conditions to USA but marginal propagation to EU.  We had some rate to EU, but
it was sporadic.  It was clear that conditions were better this night between
USA and Europe, which always decreases our rates, as USA and Europe focus on
each other.  The weak conditions to EU cost us many multipliers.

Sunday morning from 0200Z through 0600Z yielded good signals from USA and EU,
but, as always, QSO rate did not match Saturday morning.  Once again, we were
able to work some short periods of rate to EU, but not sustained rate.  USA
stations were always plentiful with great signals.  From the bandmap generated
by the on-site CW Skimmers, new multipliers and new stations were worked very
quickly after their first CQ calls.

With Europe out of the picture at 0900Z, we knew that this was our last chance
to bag the Pacific mults.  We were fortunate to work three JA stations on
Sunday morning and ZL4AS.  Once again we saw spots saying the VK/ZL stations
were hearing us well, but we did not detect them through the Caribbean noise.
As USA casual ops started to wake up and get their coffee on Sunday morning, we
worked more USA stations until the contest wound down for us at 1100Z sunrise.
It was surprising that we were able to work USA stations until 1250Z, in full
daylight almost two hours after sunrise!

Sunday morning essentially ends the contest at PJ2T, since we are still in full
sun at the end of the contest at 2200Z.  During the daylight hours, we caught up
on sleep and then disassembled the DXE 4-Square and stowed it for its next use.
We started calling Sunday afternoon at about 2000Z, but did not make any QSOs on
Sunday afternoon in spite of the fact that we could hear both USA and European
stations.  This is typical for the pre-twilight time period.

Our score reflects having a QSO total that exceeded our expectations, but a
multiplier total that fell ten to fifteen multipliers below expectations.  We
missed some theoretically easy multipliers such as DC, VO2, and EA8. Having
weak propagation to EU definitely hurt our multiplier total.

Here is the PJ2T score history for the previous nine years.

2016 1,442,974 �" 1146 - 59 �" 68  (Total 127 mults) Multi-Op
2015 1,014,762 �"  925 - 56 �" 55  (Total 111 mults) Multi-Op
2014 1,517,298 �" 1185 - 58 �" 71  (Total 129 mults) Multi-Op
2013 1,613,625 �" 1361 - 58 �" 67  (Total 125 mults) Single-Op
2012 1,443,260 �" 1231 - 58 �" 64  (Total 122 mults) Single-Op
Assisted
2011 1,865,025 �" 1400 - 59 �" 76  (Total 135 mults) Multi-Op
2010 1,739,500 �" 1250 - 57 �" 85  (Total 142 mults) Multi-Op
2009 2,065,700 �" 1497 - 57 �" 83  (Total 140 mults) Multi-Op
2007 2,047,480 �" 1516 - 58 �" 78  (Total 136 mults) Multi-Op

There is absolutely nothing like operating a major DX contest from a high point
value continent and a sought after DXCC country.  If anyone would like to
experience the thrill of never ending pileups and QSO rates beyond the
imagination of EU and USA stations, please give PJ2T at try.  We are always
looking for operators to join our teams for the major contests.  Between major
contests, PJ2T can be rented for your DX vacation of a lifetime.  Contact Jim,
W8WTS or Geoff, W0CG, or browse to www.pj2t.org for details.  We want to share
the thrill of being DX.

Congratulations to the CN2AA Multi-Op team, who reported a fantastic score, and
to the other top scoring stations in all categories for their excellent effort
and superb achievement. Congratulations to Jorge HK1R, who appears to have
broken (pending log checking) the 2012 South America record for Single-Op
Assisted category, currently held by PJ2T (K8ND opr).  We appreciate every QSO
made with PJ2T and hope to share the experience with you.

Best DX and 73,

Jeff, K8ND/PJ2ND and Jim, W8WTS.