[3830] MnQP N1CC Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jimlaporta@jlaporta.com
Subject: [3830] MnQP N1CC Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2017 00:23:06 +0000
Minnesota QSO Party

Call: N1CC
Operator(s): N1CC
Station: N1CC

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Texas
Operating Time (hrs): 8

  160:      0         0
   80:      1         0
   40:     42         0
   20:     27        50
   15:      0         0
   10:      0         0
-------------------------
Total:     70        50  Mults = 50  Total Score = 12,000

Club: North Texas Contest Club

Comments:

Elecraft K3/100 @ 5W to F-12 C3 @ 64', N/S 80/40 Fan Dipole @50', 43' Vertical,
and 160M Inverted L.  WriteLog V12.13B, Sony IC Digital Recorder (Audio Files =
MP3)

Last year I had planned QRP and then the SHOCK of the conditions caused me
to change to Low Power.  This year, I planned QRP no matter the conditions!

The conditions were a bit more challenging than last year, naturally!
As found last year, the many mobiles made hunting good fun. In 2016 there were
10 Mobiles, and I made 66 total mobile contacts. 2017 found 13 Mobiles, and
netted me 47 contacts.

Repeating again, most of the mobiles were consistently stronger than
"home" stations. In fact my first QSO, and the only one made on 80
Meters was W0ZQ, the leader of the Pack: W0ZQ (10), N0IJ (9), K0PC, NR0T, AND
N0UR (5 EACH), KE0TT, K0LD, N0EO, KC0DMF, AND K0ARF (2 EACH) THEN WB0POQ, W9FZ,
AND W0WX EACH WITH 1 CONTACT.

We all understand that on QRP we make more calls to get the contacts, because
we as QRP stations are on the weak side.  However, some of the folks probably
need to work on their local noise and on their receive setups - a good thing
for the MWA would be to run Contest University to teach some of the folks
"how to listen".

All in all, my QRP 2017 120 contacts with 50 counties netted 12,000 points as
opposed to 2016 100W that got 158 contacts and 66 counties.  So you could say
the 15 dB lower signal level with QRP did pretty good.