[3830] NA Sprint CW VE9AA HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW VE9AA HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2017 12:10:21 +0000
NA Sprint CW Contest - February

Call: VE9AA
Operator(s): VE9AA
Station: VE9AA

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NB
Operating Time (hrs): 1.23
Radios: SO2R

   80:   0        0
   40:  58       .8
   20:  11      .33
---------------------
Total:  69     Mults = 28  Total Score = 1,932

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

Firstly, thanks vy much to the Sprint Committee for recognizing that
"MAR" is not a real place.  It means so much to some of us to be able
to play for the home team (in my case, NB) and not some arbitrary (RAC)
"area" of grouped Provinces.
I am all for RAC (the VE equiv of ARRL) but these groupings should not be used
as mults in contests imo. Thankfully, there are now only a few contests left
who abide by this (imo) weird philosophy.  Even RAC has us send Provinces in
our 2 main CDN contests.  Off soapbox.

I forced myself to get on as I am sick as a dog with a bad head cold, sore
throat, headache etc.

Excuse list:
I am sure this is a fun contest from the west coast or even Midwest at this
point in the solar cycle. 20m is pretty much dead and the sun has already set
many hours before 00z up here though,and, thus despite running 500w, I made a
paltry 11 Q's on 20m. ugh...though I did work a couple W3's there into the 2nd
hour, as I kept radio #2 listening there, so we had a little Es bubble pop up
that a few guys exploited.

40m was OK but I just wasn't being heard like I would've liked.  I heard lots
of W3, 4, 5, 8 working west coast stations I was not hearing at all on 40m.

My cold got the better of me and after CQing on 20m and 40m for 5 minutes EACH
into the 2nd hour without so much as a whimper, I cashed in my chips, sneezed 3
times and found the TV remote & the couch.

Sorry guys ! I would've really liked to have handed out the NB mult to more of
the deserving but it wasn't happening.  We had several MCCers interested but
with prior commitments.

Guys like W0BH and K5YAA were well over s9 on 40m (I hope I was too) but
sometimes I would CQ for nearly 3-4 minutes before I could get a bite if I
couldn't find a couplet.  Kinda weird.

Interesting that K5TR was being heard on 20m even as I pulled the big switch
and nobody else on the band at all.

Never made it to 80, but am told it was probably good.

Next time !

Antennas for Radio #1:
20m = Wire + Aluminum 4-square (Comtek
40m = Wire 4-square in the trees (Comtek
80m = Wire 4-square in the trees (Comtek)...or HF9V

Antenna for Radio #2
ZS6BKW @avg height ~15ft
No RX antennas
Rigs: 2 x IC-7410’s, YCCC SO2R+ box, N3ZN ZN-9 paddle, Yamaha CM500 headset,
N1MM+ logger
(Usually LP but have 2 small 600w amps when doing HP in select contests)

CU (all of  sudden) in the next one!

dit dit

-Mike VE9AA in NB ( FN66 for you VHFers out there )