[3830] RTTY WPX PJ2T(WI9WI) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jhfitzp@wisc.edu
Subject: [3830] RTTY WPX PJ2T(WI9WI) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2017 17:28:48 +0000
CQ WW RTTY WPX Contest

Call: PJ2T
Operator(s): WI9WI
Station: PJ2T

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Signal Point Curacao
Operating Time (hrs): 22

------------
   80:   22
   40:  472
   20:  412
   15:  600
   10:    0
------------

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Warming up the station for ARRL DX CW where we will be M/M. When I got here
Wednesday night, none of the operation positions were set up for RTTY. So, I
spent Thursday afternoon downloading software and configuring the software and
hardware for the contest. I made a few hundred RTTY QSOs that night and the
next day and everything was working fine.

A few observations:
1. Conditions were pretty good for no spots. Zero 10 meters, but 15 was good to
Europe, the US and JA. There was little to moderate noise on the low bands.
2. A few dozen stations lost their QSO and probably mult by not sticking around
to give me a repeat of their SN when I needed it. They get scrubbed from the
log.
3. A number of stations gave me "000" or "0" for the SN,
even on repeat request. I can think of a half dozen explanations for this. They
go into the log even though I may lose the QSO. I copy what I "hear".
4. Some never send an SN, but giver their name, QTH, rig, etc. I log them with
SN "001". I think they are DXers looking for a new country or
"trying to help out". I may lose the QSO but they'll get a
confirmation on LotW or by mail if that's what they want.
5. A new thing is ops who send their whole exchange when replying to your CQ.
They're doing this on purpose and not just hitting the wrong button, since they
don't repeat it after your exchange. They are all low SN guys. If things are
slow I try to counsel them, probably to no avail. Sometimes I'll ask for a
repeat even if I have the SN.

Gear: Minimalist operation except amp and antennas, 1 radio, 1 computer, 1
decoder
Radio: K3
Amp: AL-1200 running 700 or so watts
Antennas: many
SW:WriteLog/MMTTY

Thanks to all who called in. There are lots more of whom I call mainstream
CW/SSB contesters moving into RTTY.

Special thanks to Geoff W0CG/PJ2DX who keeps this place running in a very harsh
oceanside environment.

73
Jim PJ2/WI9WI