[3830] ARRLDX CW VP5M(K4QPL) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4qpl2@nc.rr.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW VP5M(K4QPL) SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 01:11:49 +0000
ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: VP5M
Operator(s): K4QPL
Station: VP5M

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: VP5
Operating Time (hrs): 30

  160:  146    36
   80:  500    53
   40:  535    55
   20: 1057    59
   15:  875    59
   10:   19     7
-------------------
Total: 3132   269  Total Score = 2,521,875

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

QTH: Harbour Rock villa, Providenciales Island, Turks & Caicos, BWI.
Antennas: SteppIR 3 el 6M-20M at 25'; 80-40 trap inverted V, apex 25'; 40-10M
OCF dipole as inverted V at about 25' on fiberglass pole; 160M so-called
inverted L but really a "Lazy L" highest point 25' with two ad hoc
elevated radials strung through the bushes.More info at vp5vacationdotcom.
Radios: TS-590S; IC-7300
Software: N1MM

Never seen so many "Pa's" and "Ma's" in a log! Good turnout
from everywhere, conditions were good. 10M sounded active, but the skip zone for
me was laser sharp from AZ to CO to ND. S9+ for the handful of stations there
but nada to major populations. 160M was surprising with such a poor antenna.
Guess the topography being about 100' above sea level on north facing ridge
helped everything. SteppIR played well but second gain antenna would be
helpful.

48 hrs is too long for me as Single Op to go full time. Official time was 30
hours but I didn't keep track of numerous breaks and quick short runs so I
would guess about half time in the chair.
Although often overwhelmed, I could feel my pileup skills improving with the 10
minute rate meter in the first half of the contest getting close to 300 at times
and feeling nervous when it dropped below 150. Below 100 and it was break time,
especially on the second day! Being unassisted there was no way to wade through
all the DX run stations looking for multipliers so I just let whatever there was
come to me. While I tried to take a hard line and take no DX calls, I took pity
on a few plaintive callers to give them the country they were obviously looking
for. Forcing N1MM to log no credit Q's affected my rhythm and rate. Probably
should have used a paper log.
Never had time for SO2R although I left the IC-7300 band scope on 10M to watch
for openings. Not very effective with just a wire antenna.
Thanks for all the Q's and patience in the pileups!
73,
Jim, K4QPL