[3830] ARRLDX CW N6RV SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW N6RV SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 01:32:55 +0000
ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N6RV
Operator(s): N6RV
Station: N6RV

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: LAX
Operating Time (hrs): 41

  160:    0     0
   80:    0     0
   40:  355    80
   20:  285    83
   15:  190    57
   10:   58    23
-------------------
Total:  888   243  Total Score = 646,623

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

First, thanks to everyone who worked me. It was a great contest.

All short saga before the rest of the comments. The morning of the contest
during the worst storm in two decades I noticed the antenna was swinging +/- 20
degrees in a very mild breeze. It was expected to 50 mph right at the start of
the contest. The antenna turned fine and the rotator seemed to work well. I
then recalled a previous experience with my old tower when I found all but one
of the bolts that held the rotator to the tower plate. I rushed outside and
sure enough I found three of the for bolts lying at the base of the tower. In a
mad scramble I prepared to lower the tower and attempt to put them back in all
while the the antenna was swinging back and forth. Fortunately Chip, N6CA, who
lives close by came over and volunteered to climb on the roof and install the
bolts. I was thinking this was not a good idea and prepared to climb up with
wrench in hand to rotate the mast and hold it while he installed the bolts.
Before I could get the wrench out of the tool box Chip was on the roof and
declared that he installed the first bolt. The wind had subsided and the
rotator moved just perfectly allowing the bolt to fall in. In 5 minutes the job
was done and a disaster was averted. So much for de-stressing before the contest
started!

The contest started with a bang. The highest rates were the first two hours.
That normally does not happen. 15m, 20m,& 40m were the bread winners. The
Asian/Pacific opening that night was exceptional and the multipliers were
stacking up. Saturday morning rolled around That was a first for an
all-nighter. 20m was really open with plenty of Europeans. 15m was better than
expected with weak European and African stations. 10m looked like it checked
out for the weekend. In spite of that it was sluggish all day. That night the
effects of no sleep hit me. I collapsed at 9PM and slept until 3AM. The going
was slow. It seems that 40m was fished out. The rate was only 10 Qs/hr. then
sunrise came. Right at sunrise, not at grey line, 40m opened to Europe and the
Middle East on LP. All those stations that I could not work the night before
fell handily. The multipliers looked really good. 1800Z brought a big surprise.
10m came to life. That was not expected at all. For the rest of the contest it
was S&P. Things really went south during the last hours until 2300Z when it
was a mad rush to find anyone I hadn't already worked. Hopefully the
participation will increase next year. We should have teh second SteppIR up and
running and the 80m and 150m antennas up.