[3830] ARRLDX CW KH6BE SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW KH6BE SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 10:09:46 +0000
ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: KH6BE
Operator(s): KH6BE
Station: KH6BE

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Honolulu, HI
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:  30      9
   15:  18      7
   10:
-------------------
Total:  48     16  Total Score = 2,304

Club:

Comments:

Yaesu FT-817ND 5W, Buddipole vertical dipole

Portable, daytime, beachside operation - I set up Friday afternoon, Saturday
morning, and Sunday morning HST and worked 15 and 20 meters (heard the activity
on 10 Sunday, but couldn't work anything).

I started on 15 at 00Z Saturday, and quickly worked 8 stations in the first
half hour. I heard the JA's and other Pacific/DX better than most mainland
stations, and switched to 20 at 01Z. I made 24 contacts in those 2 hours, but I
couldn't work anyone after 03Z and shut down for the evening.

I set up again at 18Z Saturday hoping for a good opening, but signals were
generally weak from the mainland and I was averaging 1 per hour on 20 meters.
15 picked up for me between 22 and 24Z, but still could only manage 5 contacts
per hour.

Sunday was dismal - 1 15 meter contact the whole morning.

None of my contacts were in CQ Zone 5 - Illinois was my easternmost QSO.

QRP from mid-Pacific with simple antennas has been a great challenge and is
tremendously rewarding when band conditions are favorable. I wish I could have
worked DX instead of US/CA this weekend - I heard so many strong JA's and
Caribbean/SA contest stations!

Thanks to all who were able to hear my tiny signal. At least the weather here
was lovely for outdoor operation!

73 de Bob KH6BE