[3830] ARRLDX CW VA2WA SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW VA2WA SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 16:30:26 +0000
ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: VA2WA
Operator(s): VA2WA
Station: VA2WA

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: QC
Operating Time (hrs): 41
Radios: SO2R

  160:  126    61
   80:  532    91
   40:  659   103
   20: 1260   108
   15:  411    93
   10:   23    18
-------------------
Total: 3011   474  Total Score = 4,281,642

Club: Contest Group du Quebec

Comments:

That was a last minutes decision to go as SOAB as I was planning to try SOSB-80.
I've installed a new RX antenna K9AY to improve receiving from Western
directions as they couldn't be covered by BEV to EU. BTW I like it for a very
comfortable S/N ratio due to a real F/B ratio being at least 20db. Even being
behind my short EU BEV that small "flags" helped me a lot on 160-80
so I'm thinking about keeping it for a long time.

The first contest night was rough here in FN36 as a result of high latitude
ionosphere disturbance (K=3/4). I've noticed on the http://cqcontest.net/ page
all southern East Coast competitors were running with much better rates on low
bands. The 40 was terrible. I couldn't get run on 40 and I've been barely
readable for most EU's I tried to call. The 80 m band was much better option so
I switched to run on 80 mixing up with rare jumps to 160 and desperately
attempts of getting new mults on 40 by a second radio. Next day propagation was
great on low bands and on 20 as well, The 15 meters was not bad but still too
far from a really good shape. I guess our north QTH couldn't be the best since
I've found all the northern EU countries such as GM,LA, OH, SM have been under
noise when EA, I, 9A were booming with  huge signals. The same time W3/W2
skimmers were spotting all the northern stating I could barely hear.  The 10m
band was almost dead except trans equatorial traces to SA starting over 3200 -
3500 kms. I couldn't copy north Caribbean multipliers such as 6Y, HI, CO but
have been able to get P4, PY, LU, CX, CW etc. I've been lucky to catch D4 on
ten but didn't copy EA8 and other AF's have been running on the band at the
same time.

Anyway this ARRL DX brought a lot of fun and hope we all were enjoing this
event. I found a great option to use online scoring system
http://cqcontest.net/. That gives me a lot of motivation and always encourages
me on some extra effort to chase all these guys in front of me )))

Thank you for all the QSO's ))

73!

Victor

http://www.contestgroupduquebec.com/