[3830] ARRLDX CW W5RU(@KN5O) M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kn5o@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW W5RU(@KN5O) M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 17:56:16 +0000
ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W5RU
Operator(s): KN5O K1DW NO5W W5RY K5MMH W5XU KG5HVO
Station: KN5O

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: Covington, LA
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:   69    46
   80:  297    85
   40:  902   116
   20:  988   113
   15:  653   102
   10:   68    30
-------------------
Total: 2977   492  Total Score = 4,379,292

Club: Louisiana Contest Club

Comments:

Congrats to the W9SN crew for a nice performance..  We were plagued Friday night
until Saturday AM with weather/thunderstorms right on top of us which held us at
bay on the low bands, with no other place to go. Oh well...

But nonetheless we had a good time, especially introducing two new contestors
to the station and N1MM+.  Mike, K5MMH tried his hand on 160M/80M and really
suffered through the QRN.  Since he had to cover two bands at the same time, it
was a challenge.  Meanwhile, the 40M ops (NO5W/W5RY) did their best as well.

Late Saturday morning, we were joined by 13-year old Bryant, KG5HVO, a real
phenom.  After being coached by NO5W for a bit, he took the reigns of both the
20M and 15M radios and did a great job for the 5 hours he was here.  I'm sure
he wanted to stay a lot longer, but mom said no.  He learned CW only 5 months
ago and he was able to handle 30-40 wpm with ease, much to our surprise.

By August of this year, much to our disappointment, he will be living in
Montgomery, AL..  Fred, WW4LL, if you are reading this, I will have you reach
out to this young ham and have him operate at your station.  You will be very
impressed.

Thankfully Saturday night and Sunday were much better from a QRN perspective.
David, W5XU, joined us late Sunday afternoon, sporting a bandaged thumb from
installing a new double oven at his sister's house.

Much to his surprise, as he was removing the bottom oven door from the old
unit, the spring-loaded latch popped back and nearly split his thumb in two
halves.  I told him that if he paid more attention to ham radio than playing
appliance installer, he would be much better off.  But no, David being an
engineer, has to do everything himself! So there....

Anyway, thanks to all the DX for being there and making it a fun time.. And we
plan to log V43Z's power as "TTT" as that is what we heard, as well
as PV8ADI's power as "RR" when he was sending that..

73 to all,
Ted KN5O

For W5RU - K1DW-Dallas, NO5W-Chuck, W5RY-Greg, K5MMH-Mike, W5XU-David and
           KG5HVO-Bryant