[3830] ARRLDX CW KU2M SOSB/20 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW KU2M SOSB/20 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 18:47:21 +0000
ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: KU2M
Operator(s): KU2M
Station: KU2M

Class: SOSB/20 HP
QTH: Wayne, NJ
Operating Time (hrs): 31

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20: 1841   115
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total: 1841   115  Total Score = 635,145

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

My first foray on 20M Single Band from the home QTH. Conditions were....
variable.  There was no JA opening at all Friday night; even KH6 was barely
audible, workable and audible only long path. Saturday saw a big improvement;
after a bit of a late start on Saturday morning, a sudden avalanche of
Europeans quickly erased any worries about activity. Saturday night saw a
decent SP opening to JA - not like the halcyon days of years gone by on 15M,
but I wasn't complaining. But the band was utterly devoid of other Eastern
Asian mults after dark, other than one HL (& I was called by an HS during
the Saturday morning opening to EU). Also, no KH2 or KH0 were heard. The JA
opening was OK but nothing monumental; signals were weak and I heard people
further south working JAs that I could not hear at all (I'm not even going to
mention people west of the Pennsylvania state line, who seemed to be able to
hear all kinds of stuff out in Asia that was absolutely NIL here). I was happy
and a bit surprised that the KU2M Triangle experienced any kind of JA opening
at all.

On Dupeday (some people call it Sunday), conditions seemed OK, but they were
not like Saturday. Things slowed down to a snail's pace after 2 PM, and except
for a couple of new mults, the contest was more or less over by 3. After Europe
closed completely, there was very little new except the usual suspects, most of
whom were worked Friday night. Again, not to complain; I just put the station
on CQ repeat and got in some reading, and every now and then, somebody would
call in who was actually NOT a dupe! I was hoping for better conditions to JA
at night, but absorption worsened, and with the sole exception of JA3YBK, who
for some inexplicable reason was booming in (and anything from JA over S6 was
"booming in"), the few JAs that were audible at all in the final two
hours before the official end of the contest were at "ESP" levels.

Overall, relieved that nothing broke, and that I was able to operate more or
less uninterrupted, with no unforeseen calamities other than a few time outs
for household chores.