[3830] ARRLDX CW DL6FBL(@DR1A) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW DL6FBL(@DR1A) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2017 19:21:01 +0000
ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: DL6FBL
Operator(s): DL6FBL
Station: DR1A

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: JO31CQ
Operating Time (hrs): 38

  160:  172    34
   80:  347    45
   40:  965    55
   20:  930    61
   15:  646    52
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total: 3060   247  Total Score = 2,263,755

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

It's been a long time since the DR1A M/M station was duly activated. There was
only a showing during last CQWW SSB in M/S category. The station is not in a
good shape these days. We know that we must relocate our shacks from one
building to another, still keeping our antennas, and with the chance of
building more and higher towers in the future. But it will be a huge job all
together. And we must admit that we are somehow struggling with motivation to
get this new DR1A 2.0 project started. Maybe this year!
At least I was able to find one working antenna system for each band. Two of
our monoband amplifiers were broken, and I had to re-wire everything for band
changes between 40m and 15m. And 80m was a problem, too. I got reports of a
wide signal in the first night, so it was not much action there. In the second
night I used another amplifier, and heard no negative feedback... Sorry for any
trouble. It was not intentional.
I connected to the Online Scoreboard at cqcontest.net, and it was a superb and
intense race with E7DX, IO4T, IR2C and SN7Q with constantly changing ranks over
a long time. E7DX was able to finally run away on Sunday evening, after 15m
closed and EVERYBODY was on 20m. Instead of enjoying nice pile-ups and many
West Coast callers like Saturday, Sunday was a disaster. The 20m band was fully
packed with stations, sometimes 2 or 3 in the same 200 Hz channel running wildly
crossing pile-ups. Normally 20m is the best band at DR1A, but this time I
struggled for over two hours to find a somewhat usable frequency. I never got a
decent rate running, and could only watch my fellow competitors run away with
QSOs...
At least during the very last two hours on 40m I was able to catch up, but
never reached E7DX again.
This was my first 48h contest for over a year now, and I'm shaken back and
forth with my performance. I had to fight heavy headaches over the longest
periods, though I was still feeling somehow fit even during the very last hour.
Maybe this is due to that I have finally entered the 50+ club a few weeks ago...
:-)

73 Ben
DL6FBL