[3830] ARRLDX CW K8CN SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K8CN@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW K8CN SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2017 03:52:37 +0000
ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K8CN
Operator(s): K8CN
Station: K8CN

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: NH
Operating Time (hrs): 28

  160:
   80:   31    25
   40:  208    68
   20:  273    69
   15:  141    53
   10:   42    11
-------------------
Total:  667   226  Total Score = 452,226

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Rig: K3 @ 5 W
Antenna: badly sagging Lazy H, cut for 20 meters, top doublet about 17 meters
up at end supports + Johnson Matchbox

I found sleep management to be an issue this year in the sense that I overslept
all of my sleep breaks.....by a lot. I tried to take advantage of the EU sunrise
enhancement on both nights, but didn't find it very effective, and it sure
created a sleep deficit for the daytime portions of the contest.

Power line arc noise was dominant throughout the weekend, and was at S9 for
most of Sunday. The only benefit of that noise is it keeps me awake.......sort
of.

Best highlight of the contest was working a VK on 40 meters long path on Sunday
afternoon �" after 50 years in the hobby, I can't recall ever before
working into the South Pacific on that band in the afternoon.

Biggest disappointment was learning from my friend and fellow QRP contester par
excellence Dave, N1IX that I totally missed a great EU opening on 20 meters
Sunday morning �" couldn't understand how I missed it until I looked at
my notes: I took Leapin' Radio Jackson, our dog and shack mascot, for a long
walk about that time.  I need to teach him some contest strategy before next
year's event.

Thanks to the many stations who patiently asked for repeats until they had my
call and exchange correct. You make QRP contesting a pleasure!

73,
Mike, K8CN/1