[3830] CQ160 SSB WD5COV Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wd5cov@vtc.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 SSB WD5COV Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2017 17:35:05 +0000
CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: WD5COV
Operator(s): WD5COV
Station: WD5COV

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: NM
Operating Time (hrs): 18.5

Total:  QSOs = 746  State/Prov = 58  Countries = 32  Total Score = 171,630

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

Just like in the CW contest, I started off by working XE2X! The first night I
managed to work all States, but had only one Q across the pond (ED8W) who
called in with a good signal. I heard no EU at all. It seemed my best direction
was to the SE picking up some good mults from South America and the Caribbean.
LU8DPM was really LOUD. Later in the morning, 0928Z I was called by my friend
Atsuo 5W1SA. I had worked from his station as 5W0OV in late 2013 and it was
good to hear him on TB. I focused on the SW direction and tuned the band to
find ZL2OK and VP6EU both calling CQ. Never heard a VK and only logged ONE
Hawaii station the entire contest.
Night two is always a grind. I could tell the band was in a little better shape
and hoped for a EU opening. Suddenly at 0416Z I had a EU pile-up. Signals popped
up from nowhere. Abruptly at 0422Z the opening shut. During this 6 minutes I
logged S51V, SN2M, EA3PT,DK0IW,HB9CA,S53O,SN8B,OK7K,RW2F, and G4AON. A couple
hours later I worked another 3 EU Stations and that was it. It was also nice
being called by VA1AVR in NS and finally working one DC to end up with 58
sec/prov. By this time I was worn out and after cqing from 0723 until 0749 to
work N6MJ my final QSO I decided to pull the plug and get some sleep. I know
both mornings I missed any chance for the far east opening and the chance at a
few more mults and Q's but so what.
Considering running low power, I was happy with the results and had some good
fun. Sure nice talking with some old friends and making some new ones.

73,

Dave WD5COV