[3830] CQ160 SSB K3CCR(N3UM) Single Op Assisted HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, benn3um@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 SSB K3CCR(N3UM) Single Op Assisted HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2017 16:25:14 +0000
CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: K3CCR
Operator(s): N3UM
Station: K3CCR

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 9

Total:  QSOs = 307  State/Prov = 46  Countries = 10  Total Score = 41,720

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

K3CCR is the club station at the Collington continuing-care retirement
community at FM 18OW in MD, just east of DC.  In 2017 CQ 160 SSB, I (N3UM) did

SOHP. QRN was horrific here as at most QTHs, S9 or more, but still made a good
run 2200-2245 to start, 64 Qs at 85/hr. Rate then dropped so I went Assisted
and did C&P (Click & Pounce on spots) to make it 71 Qs by 23Z. I then
made 51 Qs 23-00Z, 11 C&P and 40 running.

LZ1AY called ME at 2322Z, 27 m. before local sunset! Only EU I heard, even
clicking many EU spots.  That pattern of bouncing from short runs to short
C&P
sessions and back again continued for the rest of the contest. I clicked spots

when run rate dropped, ran when all copyable spots were worked. Got 43% of
total Qs and 64% of total mults in first 2 hr; no later hrs. were nearly as
good.

Behind the heavy QRN, propagation was good; I worked 40 states including
AZ, UT, WY, and ND plus 6 VE provinces, but felt I could hear only stations
with HPAs and good-to-great antennas in each place.  Besides LZ1, 8 DX in Zone

8 and an XE in Zone 6.  Missed LA, CA, NV, ID, MT, OR, WA, SD, and NE.