[3830] ARRLDX SSB ND0C SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, randydvm@iw.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB ND0C SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2017 00:22:30 +0000
ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: ND0C
Operator(s): ND0C
Station: ND0C

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: MN
Operating Time (hrs): 18

  160:    0     0
   80:   16    13
   40:   21    17
   20:   59    33
   15:   59    29
   10:    5     5
-------------------
Total:  160    97  Total Score = 46,560

Club: Minnesota Wireless Assn

Comments:

This was a miserable experience and the results are unbelievably dismal and
embarrassing.  I should have been out enjoying the warm (for us) weather this
weekend!

Based on what I could tell here, the propagation was poor, to put it
diplomatically.  I felt like I was always on the wrong band at the wrong time.
I heard few Europeans on 20 and it was a huge struggle to work them - many I
couldn't. My log has no Gs, no DKs, no OMs, etc.  Pathetic!

The noise levels on 80 and 40 were nasty.  I did catch a couple short-lived
"spot-light" openings on 10.  This was really a Caribbean and South
American QSO party, but after a while the supply of stations there runs low.  I
was pleased to come across A31MM on 15 while looking for ZLs in the last half
hour.

Who in their right mind would run QRP in a SSB DX contest with these
conditions?  I need some serious treatment for my apparent masochism.

Transceiver: Yaesu FTDX3000 running 5 watts out
Antennas: Cycle 24 TX38 tribander Yagi at 40 feet, 40 meter rotatable dipole at
43 feet, inverted vee with apex at 39 feet.

73,
Randy, ND0C