[3830] ARRLDX SSB N6WM(@N6RO) M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n6wm@largeradio.org
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB N6WM(@N6RO) M/M HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2017 02:12:40 +0000
ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: N6WM
Operator(s): N6WM N6RO K3EST NA6O N6NU WX5S NQ6N
Station: N6RO

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Oakley CA
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:   22    16
   80:  126    36
   40:  671    79
   20:  681    95
   15:  425    57
   10:   66    20
-------------------
Total: 1991   303  Total Score = 1,780,731

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Ouch.  Well where to begin....  Like the Movie, the good, the bad and the ugly.

The good. -Great team, dedication and persistence, camaraderie and nice visits.
 N6RO's contest chili. Thursday pre-contest tower climb successful and 10M stack
match fixed, visit from NQ6N.  40m LP.

The bad.  -Rotator problems on 15,20 and 40 meters sporadically throughout the
test.

The ugly.  -a. Solar Storm/bad prop.  b. real rain storm c. precip static d.
Power line noise reaching a peak. e. windy condition = perfect storm for rough
ride.

Normally we probably would do single banders at Radio Oakley for this contest,
but I in anticipation of the writeup for this contest in QST this year and
humbly asked the core M/M team if they would be willing activate the station
and  they did.  I apparently am now on the hook for a lot of beers for this
fine team now.

Knowing we were going in with a solar storm we did expect challenging
conditions but I dont think anyone expected this level of challenge.
Discussions with Ken N6RO and reviewing my own recollection I think these were
some of the worst contest conditions ever from Radio Oakley.  The M/M team
really deserves kudos for powering through this.  Its the team that makes this
fun, not the band conditions.

band breakdown... Powering through.

10M - WX5S, N6RO and NA6O occasionally..: Solar Minimum conditions and
suppressed propagation.  Managed 36 countries most usual suspects in these kind
of conditions.  (SA/OC Carrib. our mainstays in North W6)

15M - NA6O: Gary did an amazing job padding the log on 15M.  Conditions just
were not there yet managed 57 countries.  Most QSO volume was Friday night/
Saturday,Sunday was not a fun day for the upper band day crew.

20M - K3EST:  Bob did his usual hard core BIC milking the 20M band for all he
could get.  Saturday was a better day overall but still tough.  Again despite
rough condx particularly on Sunday, he managed 95 mults and you can bet that
that is all that was workable from Northern CA.

40M - N6WM:  I powered through 40M myself, but had to pull all tricks out of
the hat to get the EU in the log I could including heavy focus on LP for
missing mults.  JA's/Asia pac served as the base for most QSO volume.  Was
affected by heavy precip static on Sunday AM but it subsided moments before the
LP opening to EU.  Unusually high number of LP  ZS stations called in.  managed
some good mults particularly LP.

80M - N6NU:  Andreas was the 80M operator, and managed 36 mults in just
downright difficult conditions including power line noise and precip static
noise.  persistance was the only thing that got 36 mults in the log (Asia
pac/JA ,OC SA no EU.  Quite a grind.

160M - N6RO, WX5S:  Power line noise was horrible.  sunday rain storm improved
noise a bit, but bottom line is we need to get this power line noise mitigated
asap. The guys got what they could.

As always there is more to this story.  I want to express my highest respect
and appreciation to Ken N6RO and the entire Radio Oakley team for sacrificing
their weekend family time to stick this one out despite the worst of
conditions.  I really appreciate it and hope for better conditions, big pile
ups and many runs and rare mult moments for these guys in the near future.
dues have been paid.

As always to the world out there on behalf of Radio Oakley thanks for the Q's,
and the patience with us where needed.

Thanks to Ken N6RO for hosting the team, and his Lasagne and Chili, wisdom and
guidance.  Thanks for the Entire RO team for powering through in adverse
conditions.

Stn:
10:  5 X 5 X 5 -- K3 -- Alpha
15:  5 X 5 X 5 -- K3 -- AL-1500
20:  5 X 5 X 5 -- K3 -- Alpha
40:  4 X 4 -- Flex 6700/Maestro -- Alpha
80:  4sq and 2L quads. SAL/beverages -- K3 -- ACOM 2000
160: 4sq and SAL/beverages -- K3 -- Alpha

Thanks for the Q's
73 and seeya in WPX

Chris
N6WM