[3830] ARRLDX SSB W4GE SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, schmiera@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB W4GE SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2017 04:47:14 +0000
ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: W4GE
Operator(s): W4GE
Station: W4GE

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: SC
Operating Time (hrs): 16:41

  160:   14    11
   80:   92    56
   40:  133    63
   20:  233    75
   15:  132    41
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  604   246  Total Score = 445,752

Club:

Comments:

Given the up and down band conitions leading up to this weekend, it was clear
that we would be in for an interesting time, and it was.  I'm getting ready for
the lack of solar spots on Sol"s face by putting up as many low band
antennas as I can.  That includes xmit and RX antennas, and the latter proved
their merit on the low bands in this contest and the last CQ 160 test.  So far
I have a Pixel Loop (not bad for local and noise cancellation), a BOG aimed
North and South (pretty much my go to RX antenna), and a Pennant aimed to the
NE for EU.  Used all of them on 40m and down.  Never use the Xmit antennas on
receive anymore on the low bands.  Thanks to Steve, AA4V, for showing me the
way to enlighteniment with RX Antennas.

It was obvious from the 3830 comments that the East Coasters had it a bit
better than the Midwesterners and the West Coasters.  Most of the time from the
coastal SE we could at least hear EU and the Caribbean (unless it was too close
like ZF or 6Y). The SA transequitorial really came to the rescue on Saturday
afternoon and especially at the end on Sunday evening, with the QRP and LP guys
holding court and running huge pileups of those of us who had literally run out
of call signs to call on our spotting lists....

Sunday was a slog.  I could not get a run going to save my life on any of the
bands, so S&Ping was used for 98% of my contacts.  I would often get up and
leave the rig for an hour to let propogation work its wonders on the spotting
list.

All in all a great learning experience for an old guy getting his feet really
wet in the cement of Contesting.  Thanks to all for helping me into this
craziness over the past few years.  And Thanks for your ultimate cordiality in
allowing good communication to happen in the pile ups.  Y'all make ham radio
great!

Antennas:  Xmit: 6 band Hex at 35 ft, 135 ft OCF for 160-30m at 40ft, full 1/4
wave DXE Vertical on 80m with 1600 ft of wire as a ground plane.
RX:  Rotatable Pixel loop, 171' bidirectional BOG aimed NS, and Pennant aimed
to NE.

Rig: K3/P3/KPA500/KAT500, Acom 1500, XMatch, Lots of Mix31 ferrites.

Thanks to all for coming back to me.
Rick
W4GE