[3830] ARRLDX SSB PJ2T M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ghoward@kent.edu
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB PJ2T M/M HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2017 17:11:20 +0000
ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: PJ2T
Operator(s): K4NHW WK4U AE4CW ND4V WA4ZXV W4KLY W0CG K1ZN KI4DSO KJ4CNC KJ4PQV
W6IZT N4GRN K4UEE KM4LS WC4X
Station: PJ2T

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Curacao
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:   487    51
   80:  1153    58
   40:  2143    59
   20:  2726    59
   15:  2862    58
   10:  1004    43
--------------------
Total: 10375   328  Total Score = 10,205,064

Club: SEDXC

Comments:

This is the largest crew (16 ops plus 3 XYLs) ever assembled at PJ2T. The group
was organized by Bob Allphin, K4UEE, in an effort to provide an opportunity for
ops from the Atlanta area (Southeast DX Club, SEDXC) to experience what it's
like to be on the DX side. Our hat is off to Bob and his experienced
lieutenants George (N4GRN), Mike (ND4V), and Gregg (W6IZT) for their efforts in
helping to grow new DXers and contesters.

Besides establishing a record for the biggest crew ever here, we also set a new
record for the absolute worst on-air conditions I have experienced in my 17
years at PJ2T. Never before have I had to pull mostly ESP-level signals out of
noise on 15! The 10 meter opening was too brief and didn't quite make it into
W7 either day, but at least we had enough of an opening to harvest 43 mults. As
bad as our conditions were here, it was vastly worse up north, so we have little
room to whine. In spite of the conditions everyone had a ton of fun, learned a
lot, and they will all go home with heightened enthusiasm for DXing and
contesting and for the hobby in general.

As always there was an acute shortage of VE multipliers in the SSB contest. We
had only 328 mults on SSB as compared with 360 in the CW event earlier this
month.

I thank K4UEE and ND4V for their patience in setting this up. We swapped a
bazillion E-mails over a nine month period as I arranged Curacao logistics, set
up rental of additional houses in the neighborhood, answered LOTS of questions,
took care of licensing for the weekend, and dealt with all of the many, many
details necessary for us to be able to say "59K" over ten thousand
times this weekend.

The commercial power and DSL stayed on all weekend, all PJ2T equipment
performed beautifully, we had no medical mishaps, and there were no hot-swaps
of gear. Murphy was tired after the ARRL CW contest and left us alone for SSB.

I thank K4NHW (Nathan), WK4U (Tim), and KJ4PQV (Jenna) for being tough enough
to climb the Ridge with me on Thursday to pull maintenance on one of the
Beverages, and to re-tune the 80 meter dipole up there for SSB. This trek in
the extreme heat is never easy, and they all handled it well. Jenna (KJ4PQV) is
a superb contest operator with fast, crisp, no-nonsense verbiage and technique,
she understands the technology, and she is also very capable on outside
maintenance work including the Ridge climb and, later today, some tower
climbing.

This good score and the big fun enjoyed by the SEDXC crew this weekend was all
dependent upon the great work and support of PJ2T by all of our membership over
many years. All of that enabled this Georgia crew to be able to walk in, sit
down, and GO in the contest with essentially zero station setup or
troubleshooting work needed beforehand. I thank all of my CCC friends for all
that they have done to keep this place on the air for so many years.

Congrats to 6Y1LZ and others around the globe for good scores in trying
conditions, and to everyone else who stuck it out. It's always a privilege to
be able to say a quick hello to so many good friends.

    73,

       - Geoff, W0CG, PJ2DX