[3830] ARRLDX SSB N1UR SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, edsawyer@sbelectronics.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB N1UR SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2017 18:07:58 +0000
ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: N1UR
Operator(s): N1UR
Station: N1UR

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: VT
Operating Time (hrs): 44
Radios: SO2R

  160:   37    30
   80:  179    63
   40:  512    80
   20: 1549   102
   15:  173    54
   10:   79    22
-------------------
Total: 2524   351  Total Score = 2,616,040

Club:

Comments:

It is very interesting to hear the many complaints about
conditions this weekend.  Actually, from the northern VT
perspective, the Low Bands were not "that" much worse than
other bad Aurora conditions weekends.  I am pretty used to that
situation which looks to occur about half the time for
the major contests.  Conside the last 3 years as High Power
in this contest.  2017 was the worst of the 3 for 160 - 40
but honestly not that much worse.  The BIG difference was
10 - 15 combined QSO and Mult count - 1856/192 last year and
252/76 this year.

N1UR Low Bands (High Power)
      2015      2016    2017
160   43/33    62/36   37/31
80   246/67   310/62   174/63
40   545/83   705/81   512/80

Its hard to know whether you are "doing well" in these conditions
Easy to tell with many hours of 150 - 200 rate.  Not so easy when
you have a great spot on 40M and work the activity out to
decide to stay or not.  Actually had a couple of very short JA
runs on 20M both days around 22Z.  45 in the log combined for both
days.

I made the choice to run 15M at a much slower rate around 1430Z
Saturday.  Glad I did.  Worked a few EU then and heard ZERO on
Sunday - despite some EA8, CT3 on for a few hours.  Was surprised
to grab KH6 on 15M on a last pass Sunday at 23Z.

I was prepared to go 45 - 46 hours in this one.  But took one
extra nap Sunday morning because the rate was so slow and felt
the extra 90 min sleep would add more value on Sunday.  I
believe it did.  I was going strong all Sunday right up until
the end.

There were a few of using running from Vermont this time.  And
as always, quite a few S & Ping around the bands.

Lets hope for better conditions for Russian DX and WPX SSB still
coming up this month.  I will be on as AC1U in WPX SSB.

73

Ed  N1UR