[3830] TBDC KV4FZ Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC KV4FZ Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2017 20:15:09 +0000
Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Spring

Call: KV4FZ
Operator(s): KV4FZ
Station: KV4FZ

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: St. Croix U.S.V.I.
Operating Time (hrs): 11.5

Total:  QSOs = 233  Total Score = 2,052

Club:

Comments:

I stayed on one frequency for the entire contest because of all the chop chop
chop all over the place from another nearby local (3/4 miles away) who claims
the problem is my receiver.  So....for the Spring Stew I had a chance to
evaluate the RX performance of three transceivers with the RX inputs shared
from any of 12 Beverages. They were my regular IC-7410 and the IC-7300.  I also
had online a FTdx3000 Yaesu.  The Yaesu was very good but I really liked the
IC-7300 better.  On my NE beverage I could null out most of the local QRM by
using the DX-Engineering NCC-1 and using the NW Beverage (which points right at
3/4 miles away) Unfortunately this also nulls out the states which are in the
same direction. But when the other local was 10 Khz away from me I could live
with the clix by turning off my pre amps and having to listen to state side
callers by putting the right down to the noise floor. With the IC-7300 I could
bring up the signals as needed. I have several months to get my SD-Play at a
remote site miles away from the IX and linked via the internet to my home and
within the contest rules parameters. I just need to find the right server to do
this. With this setup i will be able to move all over the band and pick up more
stations rather than being rock bound on one frequency at 1818 for the entire
contest. My adversity will stimulate a search for a solution. The technology is
no available to do this with the little SD-Play which fits in the palm of my
hand and is power via the remote computer's USB port.

The European opening was consistent most of the early night even after the SR
in Western Europe.  My evaluation of the IC-7300 vs the FTdx3000 was that the
Yaesu is very complicated for contest operation. If I pushed the wrong button
it found myself in some forbidden mode that required a full reset to get
operational again. Furthermore the FTdx3000 was not any better than the IC-7300
on weak signals.  Most of my problems with the Yaesu were cockpit errors.  My
fault since I had only the unit for 2 days prior to the Spring Stew.

The Stew Perry is still the best 160 meter challenge known to mankind.  In fact
it is the only one that, even with all my difficulties, I enjoy.