[3830] VaQP K4VIG M/MFixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] VaQP K4VIG M/MFixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2017 02:43:51 +0000
Virginia QSO Party

Call: K4VIG
Operator(s): K4VIG WA4AA K3JWI WB4ZBI K0EJ W4XK KE4CMA W4NZ
Station: K4VIG

Class: M/MFixed LP
QTH: Wythe County
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:   15      7
   80:  131    210
   40:  180    357
   20:  102     11
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
  UHF:
----------------------------
Total:  428    585      0  Mults = 150  Total Score = 217,350

Club: Tennessee Valley DX Association

Comments:

This is the fourth year a group from our Tennessee Valley DX Association has
traveled from the Chattanooga area to Wythe County to operate the VAQP. We set
up field-day style at a hunting lodge near Speedwell. There were 3
transmitters(K3s, K3, TS590s) on the air manned by 8 operators for the full
contest period. Antennas consisted of one G5RV, a 20M EDZ, a 40M EDZ and a 160m
inverted-L with one raised radial. The zepps were fed through tuners for
multiband operation.  All antennas were at a good height of 40 to 60 feet
between some large trees.

With competition from the Russian DX Contest and the LA QSO Party we hoped that
there would be a good level of activity as these contests would also draw
participants. But for whatever reason activity seemed to be very lite.
Propagation on the lower bands seemed ok. We did work a KL7 on 160M with only
100w before the contest. The skip on 20m was very long. Running low power we
were still spotted by skimmers all over Europe! Even with only 3 transmitters
it was often tough to find any activity on ssb or cw. There were times when
CQ's went unanswered for several minutes. We felt that this contest would have
been much more enjoyable if it were reduced to one 12 or 14-hour day.

In any case, good food, good fellowship and playing radio in the woods for a
couple of days was still fun and enjoyed by everyone. We thank you for all the
QSO's.

73, Ted W4NZ for the TVDXA team (K4VIG,WA4AA,K3JWI,WB4ZBI,K0EJ,W4XK,KE4CMA)