[3830] WPX SSB PJ4DX SOAB(TS) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB PJ4DX SOAB(TS) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2017 03:41:00 +0000
CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: PJ4DX
Operator(s): PJ4DX
Station: PJ4DX

Class: SOAB(TS) HP
QTH: Bonaire
Operating Time (hrs): 36

------------
  160:    0
   80:  223
   40:  755
   20: 1979
   15:  979
   10:   48
------------

Club: Chiltern DX Club

Comments:

Was pleased to be sending serial numbers of over 4000 in 36 hours at this stage
in the sunspot cycle, although not quite 4000 valid QSOs after the Dupes were
removed. 10m was as poor as expected, but the other bands were actually better
than I was expecting.

Compared with last year, more QSOs on 20, 40 and 80m, but far fewer on both 15m
and 10m. My claimed score is about 9% down on last year's - only 74 fewer QSOs
but a massive 176 fewer mults this year compared with 2016.

I made a couple of tactical errors in choosing my off-times. I should have
stayed on 80 and 40m longer on Saturday night / Sunday morning, but went to
sleep only to get up before 20m had had opened properly. I lost maybe 100 QSOs
because of that decision. Also, towards the end of the contest I left 20m to go
to 40m but could not find a good run frequency and wasted 30 or 40 minutes
trying unsuccessfully to establish a run. I went back to 20m and found it was
still good. I was even called by a station in China, which is the first time
that has happened in over 3 years of operating from PJ4.

Rig: Yaesu FTdx5000, Acom 1500 amplifier, 1kW, to Spiderbeam at 35ft for
10-15-20m, 40m and 80m quarter-wave verticals.

Hope to see you next year,
73
Steve, PJ4DX