[3830] WPX SSB N3QE(@N3HBX) M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, tshoppa@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB N3QE(@N3HBX) M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2017 18:23:45 +0000
CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: N3QE
Operator(s): N3QE N3HBX AJ3M F4BKV
Station: N3HBX

Class: M/S HP
QTH: MD FM19hc
Operating Time (hrs): 48

------------
  160:
   80:  210
   40: 1022
   20: 1704
   15:  173
   10:
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Our usual multi-op leader KD4D was down for the count with the flu! So I stepped
in to put the band back together and see what we could do for WPX SSB.

We had a brief plan to enter M/2 but that fell apart as other operators came
down with the flu, or were unavailable, as well!

So it was M/S.

John N3HBX made several extra trips to help me get set up at the station before
the start of the contest, and operated at both run and S&P positions during
the days. Super thanks to John for all the effort he puts into building and
keeping his big contest station going!

Masa AJ3M was on in early AM each morning way before sunrise, operating through
early afternoon.

Vincent F4BKV was visiting New Jersey for work the week before the contest, and
was nice enough to come down to our part of MD for the contest. Not only did
Vincent run Europe and South America not just with style, but also with his
foreign language skills! He was our "ringer" :-).

I operated mostly the evening and a good chunk of each overnight.

>From a Monday-morning perspective, some thoughts:

40M: Wow, I was amazed we did as much operating on 40M Friday and Saturday
nights as we did. Of course 40M is the money band to get the extra points for
working EU on low bands. But there's so much QRM! We camped on a run frequncy
for a whole hour before the contest started and Vincent managed to hold it with
style into the evening. Conditions on 40M each morning to VK/ZL were really
superb, and in the mix we worked several Foundation-class VK's.

80M was definitely in better condition to EU on Saturday night than it was
Friday night. Never got a huge run going on 80M on either night, but it was
very productive as some S&P relief from the cacophony of 40M.

20M was just superb from sunrise till sunset each day. I have operated at N3HBX
several times before and it's always a thrill to work a couple over-the-pole
Asian stations on 20M. But conditions and activity on 20M was much better than
I had ever experienced from N3HBX before. (Possibly in the past few years folks
would defect to 15M because it was open so spent less time on 20M?) When we were
done, we had worked 11 Chinese stations and almost 50 JA's on 20M. In addition
we had callers from Indonesia, India, and Pakistan!

15M only had the thinnest smattering of southern EU QSO's. The day crew tells
me that 7Z1CQ stood out loud and clear as did several other African stations.
The bulk of action was of course South America.

I had enabled live score reporting, and we'd occasionally peek there. Wow,
WW2DX really took off like a rocket and never ever slowed down. NV9L and K9CT
seemed more like benchmark stations for us, but they did not have the east
coast advantage of EU points that we did. WX3B was our "local
competition" and we would listen to them stir up action no matter what
band they were on. Congrats to all of them, watching them on the live score
server or occasionally hearing them on the air handing out big numbers, they
all kept us in Poolesville working hard!