[3830] WPX SSB KT4ZB M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB KT4ZB M/S LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2017 18:29:20 +0000
CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: KT4ZB
Operator(s): KT4ZB KW4B NY4D N5GNA W4JKG N4KKD NW4TF
Station: KT4ZB

Class: M/S LP
QTH: Savannah
Operating Time (hrs): 48

------------
  160:
   80:  186
   40:  677
   20:  478
   15:  130
   10:    4
------------

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

So what's a guy who enjoys contesting supposed to do when he can barely turn the
VFO and has to type call sgns with one hand? Well this OM decided once again to
find some local gunslingers to carry the load. This is our third Multi-Single
LP effort from the KT4ZB Station. And even with the sunspots declining it was
great fun. Our team was composed of members from the Coastal Amateur Radio
Society in Savannah, Georgia. They included veterans KW4B, NY4D, N5GNA plus
W4JKG, N4KKD and first time contester NW4TF. K4WP, KC2NYU and KG4OZC were
instrumental in setting up the station and working with the antennas after the
two hurricanes last summer. None of this would happen without their great
help.

Others have reported on the overall conditions for this weekend. Neither 15 nor
10 m really delivered to us. However, we did have a short Asia and Oceana
opening on 15 m and NY4D was there for Japan, Thailand, Asiatic Russia, Israel,
Cyprus, Hawaii, Alaska, Australia, New Zealand, Cook Islands but no China. We
started the contest on 40 m with a 213 run by KW4B helping to put 276 contacts
in the log the first three hours. This is the best start we ever had in any
major contest. I cannot say enough about the effectiveness of the Cushcraft 2
element 40 m beam. This antenna has been on the tower for a little over two
years, through two hurricanes and is magic on the band. The team had a
love-hate relationship with 20 m. Everybody was there so there was little space
for a low-power station. Nevertheless the gang persisted and logged 478
contacts. We missed some prefixes because we just couldn't make the contact on
some stations and we apologize for those that we had to ask repeats numerous
times. KW4B and N5NGA teamed up to make 80 m one of our better efforts. We even
were able to run two or three times on 80 m. N4KKD, W4JKG and NW4TF braved the
QRM on 20 and 15 m to add EU and SA in the log. We finished the contest by
running on 20 m adding  over 100 Q's. Best hour rate was 130. I personally had
a wonderful time; enjoying running on 40 m, catching KH2JU plus 9K2HN, A31MM;
but never TF3CW, and saying "HI" to SECC members as well as KW4N at
P44N.

We had set a goal of 3000 points and 600 prefixes plus attempting to break the
W4 record. We broke the record and came very close to the other goals. Also, it
was fun to have super competition from friends N4IX and K4MM. Thanks to everyone
around the world who said "HI" to Jere aka Mark, which prompted the
guys to say, "How many people do you know?" As usual, thanks to the
contest committee for all their work and to my lovely bride for providing
refreshments and putting up with the gang taking over her house.

cu next time �" Jere

Yaesu FT1000MP MK V, FT1000MP MK V Field, N1MM+, TH6-DXX, X-240 Yagi for 40 m,
500 foot horizontal loop plus dipoles for 40 & 80 meters