[3830] WPX SSB VE9CB SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve9cb@rac.ca
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB VE9CB SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 00:43:48 +0000
CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: VE9CB
Operator(s): VE9CB
Station: VE9CB

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: New Brunswick
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    0
   80:  251
   40: 1021
   20: 1888
   15:   87
   10:    0
------------

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

What a difference in a year.  Ten metres was completely dead, and 15m was only
good for a very few QSOs, so most of the action went to 20 and 40m and stayed
there.  The crowding on 20m was the most extreme I have seen in years.  Space
was short and so were tempers.  While I made over 1100 QSOs on 10 and 15
combined last year, this year I made zero on 10 and less than 100 on 15m.  All
that traffic had to go somewhere.

In spite of the crowding, I was thrilled that two BYs, several JAs, one HS and
two long-path VK2s found me and I was amazed that I could hear them.

I replaced my single 40m vertical dipole with a switchable array of four
vertical dipoles, and it is working well.  I more than doubled my QSO total on
40m, and thereby took myself out of the TS sub-category.

My claimed score dropped about 20% from last year's effort, but I feel very
happy with the result.

I did a little SO2R.  While running on 20m, I tuned 15m to find new QSOs and to
search for the great opening to Europe (or anywhere, really) that never came.  I
did interleave several dozen 15m QSOs while running on 20m.

Rigs:
Stn 1: FTdx-5000 + AL-80A amplifier (800w out)
Stn 2: TS-590 (100w out)

Antennas:
10/15/20m: X-7 tribander at 22m
40m: 4-square of vertical dipoles
80m: Quad loop
160m: I once heard someone say "If you're on 160 in WPX, you're
losing."